Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
The Metallurgical Technician will work with the engineering team to test the quality of incoming material and develop applications of metal fabrications. The technician in this position will be involved with all aspects of metallic material analysis and supporting development through test data. The engineer should be meticulous and organized, as this role will also entail processing a high volume of metallurgical samples weekly.
- Evaluate the metallurgical effects of metallic forming processes, heat treatment processes, metallic joining techniques and anti-corrosion treatments.
- Operate metallurgical analysis machines to prepare test and production samples.
- Analyze and map manufacturing process parameters to resultant mechanical properties.
- Develop internal process specifications and support manufacturing and quality to ensure process conformity.
- Create test plan, evaluate data, complete technical reports, and identify further testing or development work
- Work with design, stress and manufacturing engineers to achieve robust and efficient processes
- Build a robust test plan to ensure incoming powder quality and maintaining that quality during the printing life cycle. Develop routine testing procedures to monitor raw material over time.
- B.S. in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of corrosion and failure modes of metallic and non-metallic materials
- Familiarity with aerospace materials and processes
- Understanding of metallurgical analysis and microstructure
- Strong communication and coordination skills
- Experience with Excel, Matlab, Python, or other raw data processing software.
- Ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, crouch around machines, and lift up to 50 lbs regularly
- 5+ years of working experience in a metallurgy lab or mechanical test lab environment
- Experience with ore to formed material processing, especially metallic powders
- Experience with fabrication techniques such as casting, additive manufacturing, welding
- Experience with AS9100/ISO9001 certification