Senior Product Engineer - Klamath Falls, Oregon
Overview: The Senior Product Engineer is responsible for the project management of the design and development of new products, including improvements to existing products to improve the performance. Will work closely with Vice Presidents, General Managers and Product Engineering Manager to carry out a variety of project work from concept through production.
- This is a high-level position and requires little training and supervision by the Product Engineering Manager.
- Manage design projects/product launches with a high level of complexity.
- Manage/supervise work done by Designers and Product Engineers 1, 2.
- Apply engineering background to develop unique solutions to problems; have a proven track record as a solutions-based problem solver
- Lead brainstorming groups.
- Lead design reviews.
- Designs, develops, and builds prototypes for testing, aesthetic and functional review.
- Identify and specify the requirements for product development projects on a per project basis and work with the team to fulfill those requirements.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Coordinates and develops methods for testing and certification for all the products under his/her jurisdiction.
- Communicate with suppliers as required; works with suppliers to develop unique solutions/designs.
- Review drawings and Product Change Requests for accuracy.
- Creates & reviews mechanical/architectural drawings with a high level of complexity including models (3-D), sketches, descriptions, specifications, and supporting documents, conferring with Product Engineers. The finished product must be a professional drawing package.
- Assists in transfer of knowledge of product documentation, training and quality standards to manufacturing facilities for the purpose of product validation and successful 1st pass yield results.
- Prepares 3D models for Product Engineers and designers to break them down into assemblies, sub-assemblies, and detail drawings.
- Utilizes and/or is familiar with product data management systems (Autodesk Vault).
- Modifies drawings by analyzing, resolving, and incorporating changes.
- Maintain the project information
- Project time estimates, Notes – calculations – e-mail, Product Drawings, Cut Sheets, purchase documents, Drawings – 11x17 prints, Redlines & revisions
- Performs preliminary bill of material check.
- Generate/check bill of materials for the Data Department.
- Approve drawings/work done by other designers and Product Engineer 1, 2.
- Responsible for assisting in the Drawing, CAD and 3D Modeling Standards.
- Communicate workload and project schedules with Product Engineering Manager.
- Maintain a sense of urgency/responsibility daily with all projects and communicate this to Designers and Product Engineers.
- Ensure product designs are manufacturing friendly (DFMEA).
- Review designs with PLM’s, plant personnel and Equipment Engineering.
- Work with and train Designers levels 1, 2, Senior and Product Engineers 1, 2.
- Evaluates materials and makes recommendations.
- Keep abreast of trends in the industry, materials, and process technologies.
- Work with VP’s, PLM’s, and GM’s to ensure that Product Engineering is meeting their needs.
- Perform product thermal analysis, finite element analysis and tolerance stack analysis.
Preferred Position Requirements:
- BS in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering (or equivalent experience).
- CAD and Drafting Skills, AutoCAD, Inventor, 3D modeling, GD&T principles.
- Understanding and application of tolerance and datum’s and how to apply them.
- Microsoft office (Word, Excel).
- Experience: 8 plus years.
- High level position in terms of the complexity of work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Requires little supervision and training by Product Engineering Manager.
- Interfaces with outside suppliers.
- Maintain a professional drawing system.
- Proven track record for on time and complete.
- 5-20% travel is anticipated.
Key Measurements/Points of Evaluation:
- Performance evaluations will be administered in accordance with JELD-WEN Policies and Procedures.
- Completes project within the estimated design hours as set forth by the Product Engineering Manager.
- Drawing errors caught in the drawing check/approval process.
- Redline drawing feedback.
- Complexity of work.
- Performance with respect to the duties and responsibilities.
- Work Ethic.
- Ability to work with others.
- Accepts change positively and helps others adapt to change.
- Follows JELD-WEN policies and procedures.
- On time and complete.
- Positive attitude.
- Exemplify the JELD-WEN values.
- Create a “teamwork” environment.
- Develop a project team.
- Mentoring and managing team members.
Post-Hire Orientation/Training (Specific):
- New employee orientation check list.
- AutoCAD and Inventor training.
Growth Path (Requirements to Achieve):
- Product Engineering Manager
- Director of Product Engineering
- Vice President of Product Engineering
- Inventor User Group training
- Drawing Standards Training
- Appropriate trade shows
- Thermal Analysis
- Manufacturing component processes (extrusions, injection molding, protrusions, casting etc….)
- Data Acquisition analysis
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $1.00 - $2.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Design: 8 years (Preferred)
Visa Sponsorship Potentially Available:
- No: Not providing sponsorship for this job