Do you possess engineering and project management skills in highway construction and maintenance? Would you like to work for local government serving the citizens of Portage County in the capital planning, engineering, and project management for roadway and bridge projects? Portage County is hiring for a County Engineer and has a great opportunity available!
$79,299.67 - $100,151.73
Portage County offers a robust benefit package for this position. Benefits include;
This is a brief description of the job duties:
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a Traditional PPO plan)
- Paid holidays
- Sick leave
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan
This is a supervisory and administrative position responsible for the planning, design, supervision, and coordination of highway and bridge projects for the Portage County Highway Department. Independent judgment is exercised in determining work priorities; however, overall responsibility rests with the Highway Commissioner. This position will assume the duties of the Commissioner in the Commissioner's absence and shall assist the Commissioner with the routine operation of the department. This position will be included in the 24 hour on-call rotation with the other superintendents and will be available to supervise emergency operations as well as snow and ice control operations.
Some of the primary duties consist of:
- Prepares, schedules, and implements the department's annual and long range work plan, projects, and programs.
- Coordinates various engineering and operational activities by planning and directing the work of staff, consultants, and private contractors.
- Prepares and/or supervises all DNR, Army Corps, FHWA, DOT necessary project permits.
- Coordinates and implements project schedules and budgets.
- Collaborates with, solicits, and assists Towns, Villages, and City officials in providing design, permits, maintenance, and construction activities.
- Manages the bridge program for all county and local bridges which includes performing routine bridge inspections in accordance with state and federal laws and mandates.
- Assists the Commissioner with departmental personnel matters.
Additional duties detailed in the full position description may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Department directly at: email@example.com
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering or related field required.
- Registered Professional Engineer in the state of Wisconsin strongly preferred.
- Federal bridge inspection certification is required within 12 months of hire. This position must maintain certification as the County's Program Manager for the WisDOT's Bridge Program.
- Valid Wisconsin Driver's License.
- Five to seven years of experience in highway and bridge design and construction management required.
- Three years of supervisory experience required.
- Any combination of experience and professional training which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Learn more about Portage County at
Everything Points Here | Plover, Amherst, Rosholt, Stevens Point
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer