ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace is a U.S. based advanced space technology developmental organization focusing on the leading edge of space systems progression. We are committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch vehicles.
If you are great at what you do and would like to work with people who really want to make a difference, then Firefly is the place for you.
Structural analysis engineers use their world-class analytical skills and expert knowledge of analysis of composite and metallic structures to verify designs for structural integrity and required stiffness. In this process, Structural Analysis Engineers will ensure that Firefly vehicles meet customer requirements and conform to external safety standards. Structural Analysis engineers are involved throughout the engineering process and therefore require excellent interdisciplinary communication skills.
- Participate in the entire design cycle of rocket systems, subsystems, and components including conceptual design, layout and analysis, and test
- Performs structural analysis by classical hand calculation and finite element analysis
- Performs structural and modal finite element analysis using ANSYS
- Validates finite element analysis with hand calculations
- Works with responsible engineers to define required material properties and part modifications to meet structural requirements
- Writing margins to required program safety factors
- Maintain and report on activity schedule and technical status
- Document analysis for review by responsible engineers, customers, and launch authorities
- Work with responsible engineers and others to define problem geometry, initial parameters, and boundary conditions
- Review analysis of peers
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Documents analysis clearly and fully to capture method and results
- Works with responsible engineers to determine instrumentation setup for testing
Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related field
4+ years of experience in structural analysis or Master's degree with 2+ years of experience
Additional 2+ years of experience in composite structural analysis
Expert in analytical simulation software such as ANSYS, ABAQUS, PATRAN, FEMAP, NASTRAN
Working knowledge of manufacturing methods, material selection, testing, characterization and allowables development
Familiarity with aerospace standard analysis methods
Proficient with 3D & 2D CAD software packages such as Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks, or NX
Demonstrated experience with composite materials and their failure modes
Ability to effectively work in a multi-discipline team and provide technical guidance and insight
Experience and strong background in composites and composite sandwich structures including composite laminate theory, composite failure theory, buckling of composite shells, sandwich structure failure modes
Experience developing physical tests to validate analysis and test assumptions
Experience analyzing structure for cryogenic environments
Demonstrated experience with ANSYS ACP/Pre/Post engineering software
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.