General Description of Position:
The Sr. Design Engineer successfully takes projects from concept stage to production smoothly and efficiently. They can independently manage projects from conception to start with limited supervision. Interaction with both our manufacturing plants and outside suppliers will be required to optimize product designs and keep projects on target.
Duties: Position will be accountable for the following:
· Product Development from concept to production phase-in of new products under supervision of the Engineering Manager or Director of Engineering.
· Coordination and maintenance of 3-D CAD model to include interface fit, detail and completion of all assigned new models.
· Develop engineering “detailed” drawings based on conceptual arrangements.
· Interface with manufacturing plants and outside suppliers.
· Provide technical product assistance to Service Department.
· Provide detail design and support to tooling vendors.
· Ensure accuracy of final Bills of Material (BOMs).
· Troubleshoot design related production problems with Process Engineering and Quality Control.
· Interface with suppliers to insure correct product applications and installations.
· Involved directly in the development and testing of new product and prototypes.
· Continuing development and implementation of upgrades to products once in production.
· Ensure timely and adequate completion of all applicable phases of project.
· Maintain direct and frequent interface with other departments to insure consistency throughout the organization.
· Maintaining supplied personal project folders with complete and updated information.
· Mentoring of less experienced Engineers and Designers as needed.
Organization/Individuals outside of Crest to whom there is regular contact:
Vendor Representatives – as needed to assist with material issues.
Sub-Contractors – as needed for tooling and new parts.
Organization/Individuals inside of Crest to whom there is regular contact:
Engineering – as needed for research and direction.
Production Supervisors – as needed to support implementation of improved materials and processes.
Supply Management – as needed to support procurement of new and updated parts/materials.
Sales Department – as needed for customer/market research and feedback.
Customer Service – as needed for customer feedback and design-related warranty data/issues.
· SolidWorks PDM preferred
· Microsoft Office Suite
Education & Work Experience:
· Bachelors Degree, Mechanical Engineering or related field
· Minimum 9 years experience in mechanical product development
· Marine design and mechanical background with knowledge of production process preferred (aluminum welding, CNC, and hand assembly highly preferred)
· Strong background in computer aided design and engineering
· Committed to quality and standards that are accepted by societies and marine industry
· Must interface well with other employees and the public as a team player and mentor
· Working knowledge of PC based software (Word, Excel, M.S. Project, etc.)
Works in both office and plant environment. Office environment has controlled temperature, humidity and noise levels. Plant environment varies with outside temperature and noise levels vary in different production areas. Effective near vision or near vision accommodation is required. Talking and hearing are required. Minimal bending, stooping, walking, and stair climbing are required as is lifting items of moderate weight. Crest quality standards and safety rules and regulations are mandatory.
Travel: Minimal travel required, up to 10% pending project stage
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Mechanical Engineering: 8 years (Preferred)