Division: Brannan Sand + Gravel
Position: Project Engineer - Asphalt Paving
Reports To: Division Manager
FLSA Status: Full Time
Location: 5880 Lipan St, Denver, CO 80216
Duties of this position include but are not limited to ensuring high quality work on all projects, communicating goals and directions effectively to the crew, and paving superintendents. Pro-actively identify problem areas on jobs, over come obstacles, and provide quality control.
- Paving Supervisor is responsible for and accountable for his paving crew.
- Lead by example in positive attitude, work ethic, character, productivity, quality and safety.
- General safety oversight of the entire crew. Identify and correct all potential job site hazards.
- Ensure all required PPE is worn by entire crew at all times – company required and job specific required (after paving foreman).
- Discuss job with the superintendent the day before to schedule job location, requirements and crew show up time.
- Meet with the superintendent at shift start to understand the shift’s paving plan and goals, phase codes and production rates.
- Support and assist the pavingf oreman.
- Fill out green book, conduct the daily huddle and communicate the shift’s objectives with the entire crew together at every shift start.
- Ensure all necessary tools and supplies are on site at shift start. Keep supplies in pickup.
- Measure job and calculate square yardages, calculate asphalt quantities, figure cut off and call into asphalt plant. Check yields periodically and update cut off as necessary.
- Ensure manholes and water valves are marked, string lines are set and any other job specific conditions are addressed.
- Communicate with Q.C. and Q.A. to ensure densities are within project specifications and all quality issues are addressed during that shift’s operations.
- Communicate with asphalt plant for daily holds, cut offs, plant issues, job issues, etc.
- Keep asphalt delivery trucks in order and organized per paving plan. Sign trucks out from job site at end of paving shift. Turn in trucking tickets to trucking department daily.
- Ensure all paving equipment and tools are maintained and if repairs are needed, coordinate with the shop.
- Ensure all aspects of work and crew are on task, productive and that quality meets Brannan’s standards.
- Look ahead as well as fall back where completed throughout the shift to ensure finished product meets or exceeds expectations. Correct any noticed deficiencies while mat is still hot – no punch list.
- Check all manholes and water valves after paving to ensure they are turned up to proper grade and properly cleaned during that shift – no punch list.
- Call superintendent immediately if a problem arises.
- Communicate any issues, concerns or problems to superintendent throughout the shift.
- Keep job site cleaned up during any break in paving as shift progresses.
- Ensure all paving equipment,job site and work area are cleaned up at end of the shift.
- Ensure the roller’s water systems are properly drained at the end of shift in cold weather to protect from freezing.
- Keep Brannan pickup presentable,clean and organized.
- Fill out time cards, employee numbers, start and stop times, equipment hours and fuel usage (record with paving foreman as equipment is fueled) and submit timely to payroll. Also include accurate detailed count of manhole and water valve box parts used daily.
- 3+years’ experience as an asphalt paving supervisor (major highway and/or CDOT preferred)
- An understanding of the road construction industry and the ability to work under deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in paving operations, road construction equipment.
- Understanding of OSHA regulations pertaining to road construction and paving operations.
- Understanding of DOT specifications and standards.
- Excellent scheduling, problem resolution, communication, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated good judgement in recommendations and decisions in formulating and executing project strategy.
- Strong analytical skills; very detail oriented, organized, and able to supervise thework of others.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license with a driving record that meets Company standards.
- Bi-lingual is a plus but not required
- Able to work in outdoor setting under varying weather conditions
- Group Medical, Dental, Life Insurance
- Vision Care Insurance
- Short-Term Disability
- Matching 401k Savings Plans
- Voluntary Group Term Life
- Legal Shield/ID Shield
- Canvas Credit Union
- AFLAC Supplemental Insurance
- Direct Deposit
- Paid weekly
- Standing - 8 to 10 hours daily
- Walking - 8 to 10 hours daily
- Sitting – 8 to 10 hours daily
- Bending/Stooping - 8 to 10 hours daily
- Repetitive Movement (shoveling/sweeping) – 8 to 10 hours daily
- Lifting (weights up to 50 lbs.) - Occasionally
- Lift and Carry (50/60 lbs. for 20 feet) - Occasionally
- Push / Pull – 8 to 10 hours - Occasionally
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 2 years (Required)
- Project Engineer: 2 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Signing bonus
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Night Shift