Are you ready to take the next step in your career? Do you want to do meaningful work that improves quality of life? At Tetra Tech, you will work with high-performing teams who are passionate about using their expertise to find solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees— 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits.
We are currently seeking a Junior Oceanographer - Hydrotechnical Engineer to join our Vancouver Air, Coastal and Lake Engineering Group. This position will be part of a dynamic team of engineers and scientists engaged in a wide range of local, national and international hydrotechnical projects providing engineering and scientific services, including Oceanography, Limnology, Coastal Engineering, and 3-D Hydrodynamic Modelling.
The ideal candidate is passionate about and enjoys working on a wide variety of oceanographic-related projects in support of scientific studies to detailed engineering designs, including ocean/lake circulation and water quality modelling; sediment transport characterization; oil spill modelling; rip-rap design; wind/wave extreme event analyses; design criteria for submarine pipelines and forces on submarine pipelines; coastal engineering; impacts of marinas and breakwaters on the physical habitat of lakes; and wave modelling. The ability to see tasks through to completion is critical.
- Conducting investigations and developing engineering solutions for several types of projects: river engineering, flood and erosion management, buried pipeline protection, bridge hydraulics, channel improvements, sediment transport studies, stormwater management and drainage
- Assisting in planning projects, developing accurate scopes of work, cost estimates, project plans, schedules and deliverables to execute high quality projects on time and on budget
- Conducting fieldwork, collecting and analyzing data (with Matlab, Python and Fortran)
- Using numerical models in support of studies (3-D hydrodynamic models, CFD models, wave models, shoreline erosion models)
- Working closely with senior engineers and other technical staff to meet the needs of our clients in providing engineering designs, reports and other documents related to the overall delivery of the projects
- Participating in business development activities for the Air, Coastal and Lake Engineering group
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering; completion of a Master’s or a Ph.D. in civil/hydrotechnical/coastal engineering or oceanography would be considered an asset
- Ideally, 2 years of relevant experience subsequent to graduating
- Strong all-round academic knowledge of hydrotechnical engineering, ocean processes and 3-D numerical modelling
- Strong computer skills, both in standard office software, in programing (Fortran, Python, Matlab) and in hydrotechnical modelling software (such as Delft-3D, Mike3, NEMO, Telemac…) would be considered assets
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and listening skills
- Willing to learn new tools
- Good time management skills, the ability to work with minimal supervision and be pro-active, as well as the ability to contribute to the project by being a team player
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver's License and must provide current drivers abstract when applying
- Must be physically capable of performing the manual field duties required
- Registration or eligibility for registration as an Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) is an asset
This is a permanent full-time, salaried position. For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at www.tetratech.com/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities.
No calls or agencies