***This position is located in Goderich, Ontario - Canada's Prettiest Town***
***This is not a fly in/fly out position****
We invite you to Explore the Potential of being part of something Clearly Essential!
At Compass Minerals, we harvest, mine and produce essential minerals that deal with nature’s challenges, including – but not limited to – highway deicing salt for the winter months, water softening salt and plant nutrition that improves the quality and yield of crops. We transform Earth’s resources that ultimately help keep people safe, feed the world and enrich lives, every day.
With our company headquarters in Overland Park, KS, Compass Minerals operates in 27 locations throughout the United States, Canada, Brazil & the United Kingdom. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone’s voice matters. We believe in work that creates value for all stakeholders, encourages collaboration at all levels and focuses on a high-performance environment where employees are challenged to be there best.
Summary: This exempt position functions within a team of other professionals, and reports directly to the Goderich Mine Engineering Manager. The Mine Electrical Engineer will lead all aspects of electrical engineering at the mine, and acts as the owner of the mine power and control systems. The role will also be instrumental in mine project engineering and management, and the support of maintenance and reliability functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. (Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
· Responsible for ensuring the operational integrity and statutory compliance of the mine electrical systems and electrical maintenance programs.
· Maintains electrical data, documentation, and drawings.
· Implement electrical engineering solutions to solve problems and contribute to the company’s Operational Excellence.
· Manages all aspects of long-term mine power supply needs and strategies.
· Establish electrical standards and implement the management systems to maintain those standards.
· Take the lead in the diagnosis and trouble-shooting of electrical systems.
· Monitor site power consumption and related charges, and implement techniques and procedures to minimize energy costs.
· Manage all aspects of site PLC/HMI systems to control all processes and provide data required for management of the mine.
· Supports Engineering Manager in preparing annual capital budgets.
· Prepares and submits capital appropriation requests, including return calculations.
· Develops and manages capital project engineering and construction contracts.
· Implements construction/installation strategies that coordinate with Mine production plan.
· Manages multiple capital projects ensuring that critical path and budget goals are met.
Maintenance and Reliability:
· Identifies opportunities to improve mine power and control system reliability.
· Ensures the appropriate preventive maintenance programs are in place for electrical installations
· Identifies and coordinates the required electrical training needs to support reliability.
· As directed by Engineering Manager, work with Maintenance Department to implement process improvements.
· As directed by Engineering Manager, works closely with Maintenance Department to support Reliable Asset Management objectives.
· As directed by Engineering Manager, works with Production Department to set standards for equipment purchases.
Education and Experience:
· Requires a bachelor’s degree in a specific discipline and 4-8 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- An accredited degree in electrical engineering.
- 5+ years electrical engineering experience.
- Experience in heavy industry/mining setting.
- Registered Professional Engineer a plus, ability to obtain one required.
- Complete proficiency with Microsoft Office programs is required.
- AutoCAD, MS Project, CMMS systems, highly desirable.
- Other EE related software experience a plus.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Demonstrates group presentation skills. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively. Varies writing style to meet business needs. Able to read and interpret written information. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively and uses time efficiently.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction, keeps commitments, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Mathematical Skills - Ability to work with mathematical functions related to engineering discipline and concepts.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and assemble into an effective presentation format. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Language Skills - Fluency in English is required.
Compass Minerals strictly prohibits discrimination against employees, contractors or others that conduct business with the Company on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, and pregnancy), age, military status, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Vacation & paid time off
- Life insurance
- Wellness programs
- Employee assistance programs
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Company pension
Job Type: Full-time