Jumpstart your career in civil engineering while keeping Virginia moving! The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is looking for the best and brightest civil engineering undergraduate students (rising juniors or seniors) to develop as VDOT engineering professionals through its Civil Engineering Scholarship Program (CESP). This program provides meaningful on-the-job learning experiences, targeted training, coaching, and mentoring as a Civil Engineering Scholar through a structured approach to developing mission-critical technical skills and Teammate competencies.
The CESP consists of:
- Participation in a paid developmental work assignment each summer from June until August.
- Work in a capacity related to knowledge and experience level in areas such as Structure and Bridge, Location and Design, Environmental, Construction and Materials.
- Scholars are encouraged but not required to work in different locations across the state each summer to increase the breadth of their experiences and prepare them for a successful engineering career.
- A $3,500.00 stipend is issued to Scholars at the beginning of each Fall and Spring semester. These funds are not gift-aid and will not conflict with gift-aid scholarships.
- Upon graduation, the Scholar will either be placed in the Engineering Development and Growth Experience (EDGE) Program as a full-time Civil Engineering Associate or they will have applied and successfully competed for and been hired into a full-time non-EDGE classified position. The EDGE Program is a two-year rotational experience to develop the new employee’s technical and leadership skills with the possibility of being placed in a full-time position that is aligned with their career interest.
Qualified candidates will:
- Declare and pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology or related engineering degree program from an ABET accredited engineering program.
- Be a US citizen or permanent US resident
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Maintain residency in Virginia or attend an accredited civil engineering school in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Be a rising junior (third) or senior (fourth) year of undergraduate study at a four-year college or university as of June 2020.
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester while a scholarship recipient within this program.
- Interested in roadway transportation preferred
- Interest in design technology, interpreting technical plans and specifications
- Interest in roadway design and geometric design applications
Civil Engineer Scholar positions are currently available across Virginia and in VDOT’s central office location. This advertisement is for Area One: Northern Virginia, Culpeper and Staunton Districts. Area Two: Richmond, Fredericksburg, Hampton Roads Districts and Central Office-Downtown Richmond. Area Three: Bristol, Lynchburg and Salem Districts.
- Visit http://www.virginiadot.org/about/districts.asp for more information about the work locations.
- All selected Scholars will have a contractual agreement with VDOT that will be reviewed at the time of hire.
– Scholars are required to commit to six months of employment at VDOT for every $3,500 stipend awarded during undergraduate study. No more than four stipend payments will be awarded to any one Scholar.
– Agree to begin his/her Civil Engineering career with the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Engineering Development and Growth Experience (EDGE) Program following successful completion of undergraduate study. Please note that candidates cannot defer VDOT employment to pursue graduate study.
– Scholar positions may require unrestricted mobility including irregular terrain, work in an outdoor environment and the ability to lift, bend and stand for long periods of time.
– Scholar assignments may include requirements to wear personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety vest, safety boots, etc.) and the ability to work from heights (may include requirements to wear fall protections equipment).
– A resume and an unofficial transcript must be submitted via the jobs.virginia.gov online application process.
– This is a part-time wage position – no state benefits will be made available.
– Moving and Relocation assistance is not available.
– No sponsorship will be offered.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- This position requires a fingerprint based criminal history background check and a Motor Vehicle Driving record check.
- A resume and an unofficial transcript must be submitted via the jobs.virginia.gov online application process. An official transcript will be required should an offer of employment be extended.
- State applications and/or resumes will only be accepted as submitted online by 11:59 pm on the closing date through the Recruitment Management System (RMS). State applications and/or resumes submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person will not be accepted.
- Applicants are expected to fully represent qualifications and work history on the State application and/or resume.
- This website will provide a confirmation of receipt when the application and/or resume is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS Account to check the status of your application for this position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
- The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is an Equal Opportunity Employer by both policy and practice. For more information about our employment practices, please visit “Information for VDOT Employees and Applicants”: http://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/information_for_employees.asp.