General Statement of Job
Under general supervision, performs supervisory and recreational work in coordinating, supervising and administering recreational activities and programs for the County Parks and Recreation Department. Work involves organizing recreation programs for youth, adults, and senior programs; and supervising part-time recreational staff. Employee is also responsible for planning, coordinating, and directing registrations and selecting and drafting teams. Employee is also responsible for recruiting volunteers and hiring coaches, officials, scorekeepers, etc. Employee must exercise initiative and independent judgment in properly coordinating recreational programs. Employee must also exercise tact and courtesy in frequent contact with program participants, employees and volunteers.
Special Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs, coordinates and supervises County-sponsored recreational programs and events for youth and adult participants; coordinates registration and dividing team and holding drafts; secures coaches for all teams, including calling participants parents for volunteer coaches; coordinates meetings with coaches; assists in scheduling practices and games; ensures records are maintained for all games and leagues.
- Inspects facilities in poor weather conditions and determines if fields are playable; notifies radio stations of cancellations; assists in rescheduling cancellations, including contacting coaches, officials, and field attendants.
- Hires, supervises, trains and schedules officials, scorekeepers, field supervisors, and facility attendants; maintains contact with subordinates and relays information and complaints.
- Assists in receiving bids and ordering equipment and uniforms; maintains inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Participates in the NYSCA (National Youth Sports Coaches Association); teaches and trains coaches in their chosen sports as well as general coaching philosophy.
- Coordinates senior citizen programs; plans monthly meeting, speaker, newsletter, and possible outings.
- Organizes sports camps; plans camp dates, locates camp sites, and instructors; coordinates registration, orders equipment and shirts.
- Develops new programs based on expressed needs of the community and available resources.
- Assists in budget preparation; provides information on funds needed for ongoing programs and funds received; prepares financial reports.
- Assists in scheduling of facilities for special interest groups. For example, amateur athletic union teams (basketball and baseball), Special Olympics and church groups.
- Monitors programs in progress, evaluates and implements needed changes.
- Completes monthly department reports.
- Assists Special Events Coordinator; assists in coordination of events, as needed.
- Receives and responds to a variety of inquiries from coaches, participants, and the general public.
- Makes oral presentations before civic and community groups concerning topics related to County parks and recreation programs.
- Contacts school officials concerning use of facilities and providing information on available programs.
- Registers participants and answers the telephone, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Training & Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Recreation, Physical Education or a related field, and three (3) to five (5) years of experience in recreation work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.