Job Summary: This person will manage a team of interdisciplinary engineers to conceive, design, develop, qualify, and test new composite products. Composite Products typically consist of filament-wound Type III & Type IV pressure vessels, tubular products, and other composite structures. The successful candidate will lead all aspects of this team through the entire project life cycle.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop capabilities of both the team and the employees with a culture of continuous improvement. Provide access to necessary resources and training materials.
- Manage employee performance through regular informal communication and formalized monthly meetings. Provide focused guidance and direction.
- Foster an environment of teamwork.
- Manage departmental budgets and resource allocations. Provide engineering support to other areas of the business as required.
- Institute and maintain procedures for Project Management. This includes managing project budgets, schedules, risks, and opportunities. Ensure conformance of systems to relevant requirements (internal, customer, regulatory, etc…).
- Institute and maintain procedures for configuration control of engineering drawings and documentation.
- Establish and maintain systems and procedures for regular project design reviews. Provide technical feedback and guidance on system design.
- Provide status updates to senior leadership at the site and corporate level.
- Manage a wide-ranging portfolio of composite products with an emphasis on Type III and Type IV pressure vessels, tubulars, and composite structures.
- Implement a culture of data driven decisions utilizing Design for Six Sigma principles.
- Assist with business development activities including preparing estimates, supporting technical reviews, and providing quotations as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to delegate resources and experience to meet challenging schedules.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to build positive relationships at all levels both internal and external to the organization.
- Excellent organizational / time management skills – ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced working environment.
- Strong ability to understand mechanical systems and industrial processes.
- Ability to analyze technical data and make appropriate recommendations as needed.
- Ability to use independent judgment within established guidelines and written directions.
- Proficient in MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Proficient in MS Project or similar scheduling software.
- Proficient in concepts and fundamentals of Finite Element Analysis. Experience with ABAQUS preferred.
- Strong composites design and fabrication background with an emphasis on filament winding.
- Six Sigma, Lean, and/or Kaizen experience a plus.
Credentials and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited university in an engineering discipline. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Previous managerial experience is preferred.
Other Skills/Abilities or Special Requirements
- Extremely driven and self-motivated.
- Strong character with unquestioned integrity.
- Good organizational skills.
- Unrelenting work ethic.
- Excellent communications skills – ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English via multiple media – verbal, written, etc.
- Ability to work demanding hours, as necessary, to meet project deadlines.
- Must exercise initiative or, as directed, perform additional duties to meet the needs of the organization.
- Travel expectation of up to 20%. Primarily domestic travel required but some limited international travel may also be expected.
- Must be United States citizen, lawful permanent resident or otherwise eligible to work in the United States.
Job Type: Full-time
- Engineering Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement