Navatek LTD, a privately-owned defense contractor, is seeking a Scientist with a focus in controls engineering – to include traditional, machine learning, and artificially intelligent based approaches - to work on a range of exciting Department of Defense research and design challenges. The candidate will have the opportunity to help lead ground-breaking research across a diverse range of applications, including: controls for integrated power and energy systems; digital twins for autonomous ships; and cyber-physical security of microgrids. The candidate will also have the opportunity to help steer the development of autonomous control for a range of vehicles and autonomous systems for the Navy, Marine Corps, and Army. This position is an opportunity to join a group of talented engineers growing to fill the needs of the Department of Defense. This opportunity is located at the Columbia, South Carolina office.
Job Summary/General Description: :
The ideal candidate will have a PhD in electrical engineering or related field (such as robotics, mechanical engineering, or computer science), with a focus on controls design for systems involving significant electrification, such as: distributed power systems / grids; power electronics; energy storage systems; or electric vehicles. Must be willing to work on a range of projects including: basic and applied research, ships, submarines, autonomous vehicles, and electrical grids. Candidate must be able to thrive in a research environment; identify technical gaps in the state-of-the-art and translate client needs into system or research requirements; manage a project from conceptualization through proof-of-concept; and clearly communicate results to stake holders. An understanding of naval vessels or electrical power grids a plus. Software development experience a plus. Periodic travel within the United States, including Hawaii, is required for project management.
Essential Duties & Functions::
Education and Training:
- Research and development: problem identification, requirements definition, new theory development, analysis, experimentation.
- Engineering of controls systems and systems of systems for ships, vehicles, grids, and software applications.
- Provide daily technical supervision and professional mentorship to engineering teams.
- Generate reports summarizing the progress of the research team, and communicate results to stakeholders in the Department of Defense via reports and presentations.
- Support development of new business opportunities: proposal writing, gap analysis, client relations.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or similar field.
- Strong record of managing controls system or machine learning projects for clients in the defense or automotive industries may be considered in lieu of a PhD.
- Highly motivated, self-starter who can take new ideas and execute solutions in an independent environment.
- U.S. citizenship required.
- Experience with US Navy, Army, Marine Corps, and/or Air Force programs a plus.
This position will be located at Columbia, SC office. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing an employee background check and post-offer drug screen.