An Able Bodied Seaman is responsible for deck duties including providing a safe, clean vessel for crew members, and is required to comply with safety regulations and procedures to ensure safe and efficient vessel operations.
Essential Job Functions
- All aspects of line handling
- Vessel maintenance and housekeeping.
- Stands wheel watch as required
- Maintains the vessel exterior in good order including painting or chipping as needed
- Ensures a clean sanitary environment aboard the vessel
- Aids as needed, the Captain in checking and inspecting the vessel’s safety equipment.
- Provides support to the engine room as needed per direction of the Captain and/or the Engineer
- Present on deck and within communicating distance always while the captain or mate is operating the controls
- Follows company and work site safety policies/procedures and commits to an “incident and injury free” work environment
- 0-2 years of experience as, Deckhand, AB, or OS
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work rotational 12-hour watch
- Ability to work 21 days on, 21 days off, revised as necessary
- Merchant Mariners Credentials (MMC)
- Standards of Training, Certifications and Watchkeeping (STCW)
- STCW Medical card
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
- AB Unlimited preferred, will consider Limited or special
- Basic Training
- Able Seafarer – Deck
- VPDSD – Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties
- PSC Unlimited – Personal Survival Craft
- RFPNW – Rating Forming Part of a Navigation Watch
- Must be able to tolerate rough seas, vibrations, heat, harsh weather conditions, confined spaces, and high noise levels
- Work will frequently require individuals to push, pull, bend or stand for long periods of time, and climb ladders that have capacity limits of 300 lbs.
- Must be able to lift or carry miscellaneous equipment, supplies and parts up to 50 lbs. unassisted
This Job Description does not cover all the required duties, activities, functions and responsibilities of the position, any of which may change at any time according to the sole and absolute discretion of Weeks Marine, Inc., with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Weeks Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination, hostility, harassment, and retaliation.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time