Summary of the Responsibilities:
Set-up and operation of a metallurgical testing lab/processes including specification of equipment (and/or outsource testing), ordering and establishing procedures to test incoming and produced materials. Primary products include HSS, UHSS, TRIP steels, & more common sheet steel products.
- Oversee and participate in the day to day operations of the Metallurgical and Mechanical test areas to meet the delivery requirements of the customer and laboratory. Specific capabilities include microscopic evaluations such as grain size, decarburization, near surface evaluations, failure analysis, heat treat, salt spray, tensile hardness, stress rupture, dimensional, torque/stress durability and calibration.
- Review test procedures and specifications to ensure results are relevant and procedures meet customer/industry requirements. Develop new procedures as necessary to meet these goals
- Interpret and evaluate test results against required specifications to ensure product compliance
- Review customer design change requests to ensure that proper testing is being performed and is acted on in a timely manner
- Develop and assist with training of technical staff to ensure that plant operations are capable of performing necessary tasks to ensure quality/production goals
- Develop and maintain testing facilities within our plants to meet the specific demands of the production location, continue support to ensure that applicable industry and customer standards are met
- Establish and execute periodic audits of facilities to ensure proper practices are being followed.
- Coordinate and respond to customer concerns as needed, both internal and external to the company
- Ability to coordinate activities between multiple groups to achieve desired results
- Work effectively on multiple projects, maintaining momentum on each and working toward successful on time resolution.
- Lead by example in attendance, quality, and accountability
- Observe and follow all UNIPRES safety rules and regulations, offer guidance for improving these practices where applicable
- Maintain a satisfactory work area through implementation of 5S
- Other projects and duties as assigned by management
Nature and Scope:
This is a technical, testing, & engineering position that will directly interface with employees at all levels (primarily engineers) working with automotive OEMs. This can include personnel at our plants, raw material supplier, Japanese parent company, and customers
Bachelor of Science in Metallurgy or Material Science preferred
A commensurate level of education with experience in the related field
Experience and Training Requirements:
Experience with the automotive industry
Testing Equipment and analysis of results
Common steel products involved in automotive structural fabrication
Hot Stamping experience preferred
Experience with welded Aluminum sheet assemblies a plus
Special Skills/Language(s)/Traveling requirements:
Up to 25% travel may be required.
International travel may be required (Mexico, Japan).
Language skills in Spanish or Japanese are considered a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
- Hot stamping: 5 years (Preferred)
- Metal stamping: 5 years (Preferred)
- welding: 5 years (Preferred)
- White House, TN (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off