The Systems Field Service Engineer is responsible for supporting PCE’s process control customers by applying knowledge of control system methodologies, instrumentation applications, information technology, and service techniques to ensure reliable control system operation and achieve customer satisfaction. This position is based in Alaska, with the engineer dispatching from their home. As service activities are performed onsite at customer facilities, this role requires frequent overnight travel.
Key Job Elements:
Facilitate startup and commissioning activities of new Emerson DeltaV Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and Flow Computers
- Work closely with customer to ensure site is prepared for major DCS related activities (shutdown, startup, upgrades etc).
- Ability to provide onsite subject matter expertise regarding DeltaV.
- Advise customer regarding installation guidelines and standards (power/grounding, network set-up, etc.)
- Conduct Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) and other applicable evaluations of hardware and software.
- Configure, test, and troubleshoot as needed all components of DeltaV hardware and software, including integration between DeltaV and other installed systems (PLCs, MCCs, HMIs, Historians, etc.) components.
- Program Emerson Remote Operations Controller (ROC) and FloBoss flow computer hardware and software per customer’s need.
- Perform control loop checks and instrumentation check out.
Perform DCS and Flow Computer preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and engineering services.
- Work closely with customer to ensure installed DeltaV DCS is properly maintained and is kept in a high state of operational readiness. This includes, but is not limited to: troubleshooting, configuration, programming, and testing of equipment to meet customer specifications.
- Identify and install operating system and antivirus software and hardware firmware updates.
- Take power/grounding measurements to ensure proper DCS operation.
- Review system alarms and alarm history and addresses causes.
- Inspect DCS and flow computer components.
- Respond to, and correct, system failures and other DCS emergencies.
Engage and support PCE Pacific’s consulting and sales effort.
- Actively support PCE Pacific’s Total Customer Commitment (TCC) philosophy, which focuses on excellent customer service for both internal (coworkers) and external customers.
- Provide technical consultation and recommendations to customer regarding DCS applications.
- Promote PCE Pacific and Emerson portfolio of process control products and services.
- Provide guidance, and technical assistance to customer as needed. May also be called upon to conduct informal and formal (classroom) training sessions.
- Obtain necessary training on Emerson’s DeltaV and flow computer offerings. Strive to become a subject matter expert in upstream and downstream oil and gas processes and how automation solutions best apply to customer needs. Flexibility to spend weeks in training at PCE Pacific headquarters (Bothell, WA), customer sites, and various Emerson facilities as needed.
- Ability to effectively work with and/or lead a group of technicians on service engagements requiring a solid leadership, teamwork, interpersonal, and communication skill set.
- Perform all work in a safe manner. Safety training, customer site access training, compliance with OSHA and customer safety standards and policies are required.
- Prepare accurate, timely documentation of work completed to include field service reports, expense reporting, and labor time entry.
- Process control aptitude to troubleshoot, configure, program, and commission DCS and flow computer systems. 4-year Engineering degree preferred; 2-year Associate of Science degree acceptable and/or equivalent work experience to provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the role.
- Recent experience with DCS, Integrated Control and Safety System (ICSS), and/or Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC). Familiarity with Emerson Automation Solutions systems products (DeltaV, DeltaV SIS, AMS Device Manager, ROC, FloBoss, etc.) are highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Information Technology principles and topics such as: virtualization technology (Hyper-V), Microsoft active directory, domains, cyber security, smart switches, firewall, area control network and above level 2.5 network integration will be a plus.
- Knowledge of communication buses and protocols (Modbus, HART, etc.).
- Programming experience in IEC 61131-3 languages (Ladder Diagram, Sequence Function Chart, Function Block Diagram, Structured Text, Instruction List, Function Sequence Table) is preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret product data sheets and customer electrical schematics, as well as piping and instrument diagrams (P&ID).
- Familiarity with oil and gas production, processing, and transmission, along with American Petroleum Institute (API) and American Gas Association (AGA) standards is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to communicate effectively with management, engineering, and maintenance personnel.
- Ability to learn new skills and products through training, apply that knowledge to work, and convey that knowledge to train others.
- Ability to perform physical activity including walking, lifting, reaching, stooping, pulling, grasping, balancing, climbing, kneeling, standing, and crouching.
- Knowledge and experience with working in potentially hazardous areas. Has or will obtain the proper safety training required in order to perform work on customer sites.
- Frequent travel required, including overnight travel (estimated 60% of the time). Ability to work overtime and/or be on call if needed.
- Hold valid driver's license and personal vehicle.
PCE Pacific believes that each job function makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent or the company to only the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
PCE Pacific is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly