Job Title: Conductor Trainee - St. Paul, MN
- Req ID: 86647
- Department: Operations Southern Division
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Union
- Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
- Compensation Rate: $36.90 - $44.50/hour
- % of Travel: 80-90%
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 11/30/2021
**We are currently collecting resumes for our Conductor Training classes in November and December 2021**
To see the if the Conductor position is a good fit for you, please complete this Realistic Job Preview prior to applying: https://www.cpconductor.rjp.cdglhosting.com/
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Oversee the safe operation of trains and help ensure that the trains reach their destinations in a timely and efficient manner. Vital role in helping CP achieve its objectives.
- Inspection of freight cars, coupling air hoses and performing airbrake tests, replacing broken air hoses and gaskets, replacing missing or broken knuckles, adjusting drawbars, coupling and uncoupling cars and locomotives, climbing and hanging on ladders on the sides of cars to apply and release hand brakes;
- Give, receive, and interpret hand signals.
- Read and interpret track flags, block and interlocking and other fixed signals;
- Have a thorough understanding of and follow General Code of Operating Rules (GCOR), Soo Line Railroad System Timetable/Special Instructions, General Orders and Bulletins as they pertain to the safe movement of trains, goods, and hazardous materials, ensuring the safety of CP employees and the general public;
- Apply corresponding Rules/Special Instructions of foreign railroads, where applicable;
- Complete documentation as required and must ensure all departure and arrival procedures are carried out to standard;
- Plan and perform setouts and pickups, switching and service of on line industries;
- Must be able to handle emergency situations and operate fire extinguishers as well as be able to apply first aid techniques;
- Must safely and efficiently perform all other duties as required.
- PRIOR RAILROAD EXPERIENCE IS NOT REQUIRED. WE OFFER A PAID TRAINING PROGRAM;
- Must be available for call 24 hours per day;
- Work schedules are irregular and are determined by the rotation of the extra board including weekends and holidays;
- Work performed may be for periods of time up to 12 hours long;
- Must respond to and be at the designated work site within two hours of receiving a call;
- Must be able to work outdoors, in all types of weather conditions;
- Walking distances on railroad roadbeds;
- Must posses a Valid full driver's with no restrictions;
- Must be able to recognize and distinguish between the colors of signals, signs, and other visual displays;
- Must be able to judge the speed and/or distance of moving objects at near or far distances;
- You should consider the long-term effect of the above lifestyle on your personal and/or domestic situation;
- Must pass a written examination prior to completing the training;
- Must possess good communication skills, work efficiently with minimum supervision;
- Required to accept mandatory promotion to locomotive engineer and attend Student Engineer Training. This can occur any time after 1 year of train service experience.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Employer Funded Retirement Plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $36.90 - $44.50 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
- Day shift
- Night shift
- On call
CP is committed to the health and safety of our employees, customers and the communities in which we operate. Please visit https://www.cpr.ca/en/media/covid-19 for more detailed information.