Self-Help Enterprises has an opening for a Community Development Specialist, based out of our Visalia or Madera office, with an emphasis on helping rural, low-income communities in obtaining safe drinking water and sanitary disposal systems.
Community Development Specialists work closely with low-income, rural residents to assist them in the development and management of community facilities. CD Specialists also assist communities in participating in regional water management and groundwater sustainability planning. It is a necessary function of this position to serve in an advocacy and technical assistance role regarding the needs of rural, low-income people for safe, adequate water and wastewater facilities.
- Conduct community surveys, needs assessments and related research to obtain community information and determine facilities needs and deficiencies.
- Research and package loan and grant applications, and administer funds
- Work with the community, water and sewer boards, and engineers to facilitate project planning and development
- Assist small, rural communities in complying with technical, managerial, and financial requirements necessary to properly operate water and wastewater systems.
- Educate disadvantaged communities (DACs) on the Integrated Regional Water Management Program and the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
- Attend IRWM and Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA) meetings to inform IRWM groups and GSAs of DAC needs in the region/facilitate DAC participation
- Attend community and Board meetings (some nights and weekends) to listen and to provide project technical assistance.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Ability to work with farmworker, low-income, and other community groups
- Ability to manage technical aspects of field work and grant writing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage time and work tasks with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to work effectively with public and private agency officials
California applicants, DO NOT include past salary information in the "previous work experience" section. We are working to remove this language from the application.