Please Note: US citizenship or permanent residency is requiredfor this position. You must submit a cover letter that indicates you are either a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident. Applications that do not have this declaration will not be reviewed.
As the leader in high-frequency software defined radio systems, FlexRadio Systems has designed and built radios that delight our consumer, government and signals intelligence customers worldwide. FlexRadio is the recognized leader producing software defined radios that continue to evolve via software enhancements. Our radios are deployed to win competitive contests in the amateur radio community, to accomplish signals intelligence and military missions, for research in university settings and on space vehicles. Our original open source software-defined radio (SDR) software, PowerSDR, has become recognized worldwide and is the basis for numerous software radio systems and products. Our industry leading SDR platform, SmartSDR, ships on our current platforms and has advanced capabilities including an open API (SmartSDR API) and a Waveform API which allows integration of arbitrary waveforms. FlexRadio was founded in 2003.
FlexRadio Systems in Austin has an opening for an embedded software engineer working with a select group of engineers building software-defined radios in our consumer and government groups. In our laid-back environment, you will be a member of a cross-disciplinary agile team that builds cutting edge software radio systems. As part of our tight-knit software team, you will share your achievements with others, participate in code reviews, learn from and share your ideas with your team and build systems that have unparalleled capabilities. Your creative insights will enhance our SDR capabilities and allow you to craft flexible, readable software that will have a direct impact on the company’s success.
- 2+ years of C/C++ development experience
- Version control and issue tracking using Github or similar toolsets
- Microcontroller and/or ARM programming, embedded firmware, ARM tool flow and debugging (C/C++)
- Inter-chip communication protocols such as I2C, SPI, Ethernet
- Multiprocessor and multithreaded programming including locking, semaphore, AMP/SMP processing, mailboxes, queues, and other data structures for concurrency
- Hardware tools for diagnosing embedded problems such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers
- Understanding of packet-based processing mechanics such as ring buffers, queueing, meeting timing in audio stream systems, etc.
- Understanding of digital signal processing
Preferred Skills and Education
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science (EE, ECE, CS) from an accredited university
- Licensed amateur radio operator
- Experience writing and maintaining Linux drivers
- Familiarity with networking concepts (TCP/IP)
- Design, implement and test embedded software and firmware
- Integrate and debug software on hardware platforms that are both developed and under development
- Participate in regular design discussions, code reviews, and release planning discussions that ensure the team is building the right software for our customers and that the software is maintainable, testable and meets requirements
We prefer that candidates have a degree in Electrical Engineering and an amateur radio license is a big plus, but our primary criterion is that you love working with a team to build cool systems that excite customers (because we love doing this too). Our engineers get to play with all kinds of software including DSP in C and Verilog, C embedded systems, Visual C#, GUI building tools, X Code, Eclipse, Xilinx FPGA tools, etc. We know you probably won't know all of these things, but if the work is interesting we figure you will find a way to contribute. We work as a team to split up what needs to be done and everyone gets to do a little of everything. We love people who love puzzles and solving problems -- figuring out the best way to do things and making them work well.
No Agencies or recruiters / US Citizenship or permanent residency Required
Job Type: Full-time, contract or contract-to-hire
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Full Time Opportunity:
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules