The International Masonry Institute (IMI) seeks an experienced Architect, Engineer, Construction Manager or Construction Professional to serve as Director of Industry Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan Area and join our nationwide team.
IMI is a labor-management trade association with offices throughout the United States. As the industry leader for masonry design and installation, IMI provides education, design assistance, technical support and training to the AEC community. Our goal is to empower design and construction professionals to deliver efficient, economical and aesthetic masonry and tile systems.
As Director of Industry Development and Technical services, you will play an important role in growing the market share of union masonry, tile, and restoration projects in your area. Ideal for an ambitious self-starter, this position offers you the opportunity to make a difference in key projects in your community, while creating good-paying jobs for skilled craftspeople. You will be responsible for developing and executing strategies to get more union masonry on local projects, while lending your expertise and thought leadership to IMI’s national programs and initiatives. In addition to acting as a consultant and creating strong relationships with key AEC firms, you will also regularly interface with internal stakeholders, like subcontractors and union representatives, to keep them apprised of activities and opportunities in your area.
Duties and Responsibilities
As Director of Industry Development and Technical Services you will:
- Educate and advise designers and other project stakeholders regarding the performance of masonry in the building enclosure, while becoming the recognized local authority in your area.
- Plan and implement a targeted effort to work with decision makers for major design/construction projects to understand their needs and provide the educational seminars, technical advice or plan review necessary to improve and expand the use of masonry solutions.
- Shape and direct your own local activities, while participating in collaborative team projects with other IMI experts to develop national programming, including strategies and tools for specific subject areas such as resiliency, restoration and emerging technologies. You will also play a role in promoting and advancing national initiatives like our renowned Masonry Detailing Series and design-build program for young architects and craftworkers, Masonry Camp.
- Establish programs with local universities to expand emerging designers’ masonry learning and knowledge with engaging hands-on workshops, studio courses, and outreach initiatives like the JBC Masonry Innovation Competition.
- Consult with design and construction professionals to impact meaningful change on construction projects by providing compelling, efficient designs and supporting the creation of good-paying jobs.
- Inspire AEC professionals to be advocates of union labor by educating them about what sets us apart from the competition. That is, responsible contractors who pay their employees fair wages and benefits, create a culture of workplace safety, and have a reputation for getting projects done on-time and on-budget. Plus, trained craftworkers who have the experience and skill essential in today’s construction industry.
While design or construction experience is required, and experience with masonry and tile is preferred, IMI provides technical training to incoming staff.
This position offers a very competitive salary with excellent benefits. It also includes employer-paid healthcare benefits, pension and 401k programs, as well as generous vacation and sick leave. If you are looking to leverage your experience in a flexible and creative work environment, this position is for you.
IMI is funded by members of the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers (BAC) and the contractors who employ them, driving our mission to promote the use of skilled union labor. BAC contractors bring experience, technical expertise and successful performance to their projects, without compromising safety or quality. They are essential to the growth of family-sustaining middle-class jobs, providing fair wages and benefits. BAC members are highly trained, certified union craftworkers who have the skill to meet industry demands and successfully install complex jobs. Our contractors and installers work on groundbreaking and significant projects, from academic buildings at leading universities, to historical monuments, sports stadiums, office and residential facilities, and more.
The International Masonry Institute (IMI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. IMI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
IMI expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of any employee to perform their expected job duties will not be tolerated.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $90,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance