Analyzes user requirements, procedures and problems to automate processing or to improve existing computer system. Plans, develops, tests and documents computer programs as may be required by the different operating divisions of the MTA. Recognized as an in-house expert on Microsoft and PC systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
\*This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Confers with personnel of MTA organizational units involved to analyze current operational procedures, identify problems and learn specific input and output requirements such as forms of data input, how data is to be summarized and formats for reports.
- Reviews computer system capabilities, workflow and scheduling limitations to determine if requested program or program change is possible within existing system.
- Studies information processing systems to evaluate effectiveness and develops new systems to improve production or workflow as required.
- Prepares workflow charts and diagrams to specify in detail operations to be performed by equipment and computer programs and operations to be performed by personnel in system.
- Conducts studies pertaining to development of new information systems to meet current and projected needs.
- Plans and prepares technical reports, memoranda and instructional manuals as documentation of program development.
- Upgrades system and corrects errors to maintain system after implementation.
- Assists Computer Programmer and/or other Programmer Analyst in resolution of work problems related to flow charts, project specifications or programming.
- Directs and coordinates work of others to develop, test, install and modify programs.
Infrequently directs the activities of Programmer/Analyst.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (BA) from a four-year college or university in computer sciences required. Two to four years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated hands-on experience in the design, management and implementation of computer software systems. Minimum of two to three years applied programming experience in a highly complex business environment.
Ability to read and understand documents in English such as policies, safety rules and procedure manuals. Ability to write basic correspondence. Ability to speak effectively and to accurately convey information to staff, patrons, state and local government, and the general public in a concise and courteous manner.
Ability to apply basic mathematical and algebraic concepts such as whole numbers and fractions. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations. Applies good judgment in a variety of settings including stressful situations. Ability to know when to ask questions and how to find information when needed.
Regularly required to sit for prolonged periods of time. Frequently uses hands to operate the keyboard of a personal computer and other office equipment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Typical hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This position may be subject to some non-routine hours. Employee must be available to come in early or work late on occasion.
Primarily those of a professional office environment. Occasionally asked to travel and may be then exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. There is greater exposure to noise when traveling and meeting at turnpike sites.
\*The physical requirements and working conditions here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The Maine Turnpike Authority is an EEO Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Portland, ME 04102: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- C#: 5 years (Preferred)
- ASP.NET: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location