Tire Design Engineer
Richburg, SC, US
As a member of a multi-disciplinary design team, the Tire Design Engineer is responsible for specifying design features such as tread pattern, mold contour, internal construction, and materials selection so that the final product meets the required performance targets such as ride, handling, wear, noise, etc. He/she is expected to have or develop knowledge about tire testing and evaluation methods, as well as trade-offs between different tire performance characteristics and their relationship to different components in the tire.
The position may be filled as an entry or higher level depending on experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts engineering calculations and uses numerical and analytical tools for tire performance estimation
- Interacts with engineering software such as CAD, PDM, and FEA
- Develops tire designs and issues associated specifications and drawings
- Conducts section analysis measurements and specification reconciliation
- Develops test programs for assigned projects and monitors and reports the results
- Follows experimental tire builds and prepares documents for review meetings
- Travels to test sites to observe, collect, and maintain and report data.
- Complies with company procedures and policies
- Performs other engineering work as requested
- Visits company plants to observe and monitor tire manufacturing processes
Skills / Qualifications
Excellent Oral/Written Communication
MS Office Proficiency
Excellent Organizational Skills
Excellent Interpersonal Skills
Sensitivity to Cultural Differences
Education / Training
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical discipline.
3 plus years of experience is preferred
Job Type: Full-time