Staff Software Engineer
Austco Healthcare | Dallas, TX
Austco is a global manufacturer of hospital and clinical communications hardware and software. We make innovative products that help nurses and caregivers as they care for their patients. Established in Perth, Australia in 1986, Austco builds the most advanced nurse call and clinical communications technology in the world. Austco also maintains offices in Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, the UK, and Latin America.
Austco is searching for a Staff Software Engineer, based in our Dallas office, reporting to the Vice President of Engineering. This role will work directly with on-shore, near-shore, and off-shore teams to coordinate development and testing activities.
To succeed in this role, you will be a hands-on and a technical oriented individual with leadership responsibilities. You will also be expected to contribute to the design and development of current and sustaining activities. We believe the exposure to a variety of technologies and participation in many areas on our team helps strengthen us as a group.
As the Staff Software Engineer, you will develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. The role will consist of analyzing user needs and develop software solutions. You will design software or customize software with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. There may be an opportunity to analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team, along with developing and writing computer programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific documents, data, and information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Correct errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced
- Conduct trial runs of programs and software applications to be sure they will produce the desired information and that the instructions are correct.
- Perform or direct revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements
- Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes.
- Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software as a systems programmer
- Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program.
- Consult with and assist computer operators or system analysts to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
- Conduct hardware interface testing, to ensure correct operation throughout the system
- Provide peer review of (and feedback on) code in a variety of coding languages
- Perform system setup and integration testing of system components
- Work in a hybrid environment of Linux, Windows, and other OSes
Requirements and Experience
- At least 8-10 years of experience in a corresponding industry (healthcare industry preferred)
- Can demonstrate past successful development of commercial applications at a senior level
- Sound knowledge of full Software Development Lifecycle and Quality Management
- Sound knowledge of Agile development methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban, etc.), CI/CD and the management of iterative development
- Sound knowledge of design patterns and the Model View Controller (MVC) architecture
- Sound knowledge of secure data transmission
- Solid understanding of IP network concepts
- Required experience in: Core Java, Spring Framework, Hibernate, XML/XSD, JMX, JManage, JProfiler
- Familiar with: Eclipse IDE, Git, Jira, Confluence, SonarQube, Jenkins, Nexus, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Tomcat, Xamarin Forms, Junit, TestNG, Mockito
- Operating systems: experienced in Linux, Windows, Android, iOS
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to plan a release strategy, define the information architecture, and perform requirements analysis and documentation
- Ability to think analytically and solve complex problems
- Ability to peer-review others' code and provide useful feedback
- Ability to oversee and coordinate with on-shore, near-shore and off-shore team members
- Drive projects to completion and work within a results-driven environment
- A resourceful "can-do" nature
- Ability to learn new things quickly
- Ability to work within various software languages and environments is a plus
- Proven ability to thrive in a diverse role
- Competitive salary, depending on experience
- Healthcare including Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, and a company Wellness Program
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and 401k contributions
- Paid company holidays, sick days, vacation days and floating holidays
- Team Lunches and Happy Hours
- Relaxed dress code
Austco Healthcare provides equal employment opportunities to all persons. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, creed, origin, marital status, sexual orientation, age, otherwise qualified disabled or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Irving, TX 75063: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Software deployment: 8 years (Required)
- Core Java: 8 years (Required)
- Quality management: 8 years (Required)
Work Location: One location