We are a large, high profile developer seeking a permanent position for a Construction Site Supervisor for concrete high rise construction in Halifax, NS. Reporting to the Construction Manager, the Site Supervisor is responsible for assisting in the implementation and enforcing company and project policies, ensuring the project is constructed to the highest quality in accordance with the approved design, budget and schedule, and providing leadership to subordinate contractors and staff. This position requires someone with strong management, communication skills, and dedication.
- Coordinate with Construction Manager on all items related to technical, contract, scope or otherwise as the need arises to ensure a project delivered on time with the proper quality that the company has become known for
- Ensure appropriate action is taken in cases where contracts, plans, and specifications are inadequate or contravene good building practice in conjunction with the Construction Manager;
- Review drawings for dimensional errors, construction detailing, constructability, economy and long-term durability in conjunction with the Construction Manager;
- Effectively implement site specific safety plan and quality plan;
- Execute work in accordance with contract documents, sub-contracts/agreements, plans, specifications and shop drawings, including coordination and execution of changes to the scope of work;
- Responsible for hiring temporary construction staff in conjunction with the Construction Manager, such as labourers, etc.;
- Direct, manage and promote the productivity of construction resources required to construct the project in accordance with the contracts, plans and specifications (including trade contractors, suppliers, etc.);
- Know the scheduled delivery dates for all material and equipment that have a direct effect on the area(s)/trade(s) assigned.
- Supervise field work by all trades for quality meeting company desires
- Prepare weekly production schedules and look ahead;
- Provide feedback and constructability expertise to the Construction Manager in preparing and managing the project schedule;
- Review the construction budget and sub-trade estimates to understand any assumptions and conditions that have been identified by the sub-trade in conjunction with the Construction Manager;
- Coordinate inspections with civic authority and other authorities having jurisdiction for routine and occupancy-related inspections;
- Apply knowledge of equipment capability and develop plans for optimum utilization.
- Attend, chair and document regularly scheduled trade meetings;
- Maintain a relationship with the Owner, Construction Manager and other consultants, as the case may be, to facilitate construction activities;
- Work collaboratively and conduct effective meetings with contractors, other company departments, project staff, architects and subcontractors, while sharing knowledge and experience to meet Owner’s objectives efficiently and effectively.
- Be thoroughly knowledgeable of all of the company's safety standards, manuals, and procedures.
Experience & Competencies
- At least 5+ years in residential concrete construction as a Site Super
- Must have prior experience in high-rise residential work
- A degree/diploma or other relevant certifications in a construction related field such as Engineering or PMP Certification would be an asset
- Thorough understanding of construction methods, scheduling and ability to read construction drawings, engineering and construction practices, OH&S regulations
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Has completed at least 1-2 full cycle builds
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written
- Knowledgeable in use of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Spreadsheets, etc.
- MS Project scheduling software would be an asset
- Knowledge of AutoCad would be an asset
- Knowledge of National Building Code
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Post secondary education in the field of Engineering, Architecture, Building Technology or Construction Management would be considered an asset
This position is Permanent, full time with regular HOURS OF WORK: 7:00am-5:00pm, Monday to Friday and Evenings and Saturdays, when required.
SALARY: will be commensurate with proven Construction experience
WORK LOCATION: Halifax, N.S.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to midnight on, February 28, 2020.
Reference ID: BANC2020
Job Type: Full-time
- Residential Concrete Construction: 5 years (Required)