Specializing in structural engineering, building science, structural restoration, structural glass engineering, parking facility design and building energy modelling, RJC Engineers (RJC) is one of Canada’s leading engineering firms. Recognized as an exceptional workplace, we mentor the next generation of Canada’s ‘best and brightest’ engineers and technologists. With offices and expertise across Canada, we challenge our people to push technical boundaries and provide leadership in our fields of practice, while providing services for clients and projects nationwide
We believe in taking care of our people and help them realize their full potential. RJC offers the opportunity to work in an engaging team environment where you will work on exciting and challenging projects, discover new and developing technologies, practices and techniques and where you will flourish in a culture of continuous learning and collaboration. Working under the guidance of leading technical specialists who broadly share their expertise, you will get to fine tune your skills and cultivate your expertise while being given the opportunity to pursue your professional goals.
As a Project Engineer or Technologist in our Building Science and Restoration team, you will be faced with a myriad of challenges that will require you to be a versatile and creative thinker. A strong communicator with a driving passion for what you do, you work directly with our clients to provide cost effective, pragmatic, and imaginative solutions. You don’t shy away from a challenge and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get involved. You enjoy working freely, while looking to those around you to collaborate and problem solve.
The focus of this position will be to lead building science and restoration projects in Nanaimo and its surrounding area, from conceptual and preliminary stages of the project design through to its completion.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage projects and clients from conceptual design to final completion.
- Establish and maintain successful client relationships and support ongoing business development initiatives.
- Conduct site investigations of building enclosure failures.
- Consult on new construction for building enclosure.
- Formulate building enclosure rehabilitation programs.
- Prepare financial studies/life cycle costing for buildings.
- Site investigation and evaluation of existing buildings and structures.
- Analysis of existing building components and design of new repair measures and upgrades.
- Contract administration including review of change paperwork, progress claims, and responding to RFIs
- Preparation of bidding documents/specifications and drawings.
- Preparation of condition evaluation reports and written recommendations.
- Tendering projects to suitable contractors.
- Construction review and documentation.
- Regular travel around Vancouver Island will be required. Occasional travel outside Vancouver Island may be required (typical service area includes Vancouver Island north of Duncan).
- Degree in Civil Engineering – Preference may be given for those candidates with completed courses in Building Science OR
- Diploma or Certificate from a recognized Technological Institute having 2 or 3 year programs in Architectural, Engineering or Construction Technology. Preference may be given for those candidates with completed courses in Building Science or in technology programs that are Building Science Specific
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia OR
- Registered as an Applied Science Technologist (AScT) or Certified Technician (CTech) with Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia.
- Minimum 5 years of Building Enclosure experience, including both technical design and contract administration.
- Knowledge of energy efficient building principles and target-based modelling assessment is an asset.
- Experience with energy modelling software such as HOT2000, IES VE, and/or DesignBuilder is an asset
- The ideal candidate will have local area knowledge of Nanaimo and its surrounding area.
- Experience with public speaking is an asset.
- Excellent client relationship skills –relate to your clients with ease and build lasting relationships with your personable style
- Accountability – take ownership of your work and can be relied upon to deliver on commitments made.
- Understands the dynamics of working in a small office environment. Willingness to work together and take on multiple roles at any one time, to ensure a projects success.
- An autonomous team player – can equally be left to your own devices or collaborate with your peers to achieve a common goal.
- Self-motivated, fast learner with the desire to continually learn and grow.
- Strong technical writing skills with an eye for detail.
- Exceptional organizational, time-management and project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and non-verbal
- Intermediate to advanced level MS Office skills, proficient with the use of Adobe.
*This position includes a comprehensive group benefits package, discretionary performance bonuses, and annual salary reviews.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Building Science, enclosure: 5 years (required)
- Professional Engineer or Technologist designation (preferred)