The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unrivaled skills and experiences to craft, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Do you want join a culture that encourages employees to think creatively, exceed their own expectations and build incredible products? We provide the resources, support and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you!
You will apply mechanical engineering principles to design and then implement engineered solutions for Lockheed Martin. This role is primarily an engineering role supporting manufacturing activity with a strong need for Thermal Analysis and Design, as a secondary function. You will have the ability to work independently on new designs and conduct the applicable Thermal Analysis to prove the design will meet requirements and function in the end environment. This includes, updating, maintaining and building user documentation to support program activities, developing proven models in CREO, and working with cross discipline teams locally and at sites across Lockheed Martin.
In addition, you will support more classical Mechanical Engineering tasking. This will include participating in design standard methodology efforts including FEA, thermal analysis, fluid mechanical analysis, as well as others. You'll hold a supplying role within the Production Operations and Engineering and Technology (E&T) organization; as such you will present materials for peer reviews, design reviews, DFMEA discussion, DFX meetings and group discussions on technical aspects of the design. This position will be encouraged to support the design effort for system sub-assemblies or potentially for small self-contained systems. Ongoing job responsibilities:
- Perform thermal heat transfer simulations
- Carry out system-level and detailed thermal design, analysis, and testing on complex electromechanical systems
- Responsible for developing geometry based thermal models, applying physical properties, accounting for critical mounting interfaces, application of dissipative heat loads, and executing thermal analyses to ensure safe operating temperature levels
- Support decision-making in the system design architecture and overall thermal management, evaluate/select/procure thermal control hardware, and participate in the preparation and performance of developmental and qualification testing
- Designs components and electromechanical assemblies using commodities including sheet metal, machined components, plastics, die casting, weldments, and others
- Design and release drawings to meet internal and external commitments
- Supports reviews and helps develop product validation and verification plans at all product levels to ensure customer and internal requirements are met
- Supports cost/benefit trade-off analysis and feasibility studies.
- Excellent understanding of mechanical engineering and thermal analysis through education (BS in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering or related discipline), or equivalent experience/combined education with 7-9 years of experience
- Knowledge in fluid dynamics and heat transfer theory
- Familiar with the specification and application of passive and active thermal management hardware
- Skilled in performing thermal feasibility studies; developing and supplying conceptual designs that meet system requirements
- Experienced with CAD design software.
- Knowledge of several additional areas of Mechanical Design Analysis
- Ability to travel up to 15%, both international and domestic
- Must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance
- MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- PE license
- ANSYS experience
- Experience with developing hardware for marine applications
- Knowledge of design analysis tools like FEA and thermal analysis.
- Ability and willingness to work on multiple projects at one time and be able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Experience with CM tools as well as writing and implementing Change Notices and Change Requests
- Experience with DFMEA and DFX
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.