Powersmiths is a member of the Socomec SAS corporate family of companies, a global organization with nearly a century of success in providing innovative solutions within the energy industry.
Powersmiths provides integrated energy and environmental solutions, and with Socomec SAS, integrated products for energy storage and critical power. Our products are designed for a wide range of applications in the building renewal market space, data centers, power distribution, power management and critical power markets.
Powersmiths’ team of highly skilled professionals has been serving the market for over 20 years. Our customers are located across the USA and Canada.
Powersmiths is committed to designing and manufacturing innovative products that serve the growing market in environmental sustainability, clean tech, and energy conservation.
About This Role
As a member company of Socomec SAS, Powersmiths has become the North American hub for integrated power conversion, energy storage, power distribution system design and manufacturing. With access to numerous technology centers beyond North America, Powersmiths is now designing and developing a new line of exciting and innovative products for the global power market.
As a result of our recent integration with Socomec SAS, Powersmiths has new and significant opportunities for growth.
This position is part of our very successful engineering product development team. This senior role works closely with members of the software/firmware engineering team on software development in support of Powersmiths products. This role will be involved in all phases of the software lifecycle: design, implementation, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Developing software for embedded Linux microcomputer devices
- Developing embedded GUI Interfaces
- Developing end-user applications for PC, MAC, and Mobile devices
- Implementing industrial communication protocols
- Participate in support and maintenance of existing products and contribute to development of new products
- Developmental testing within the target systems
- Write design documentation
- Write end-user documentation including manuals, online help, etc.
- Support customers for related products
Essential Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
- Degree in Software Engineering, or equivalent, with exposure to electrical/industrial applications or Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Proven software development record
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing software for real-time embedded systems with constrained resources
- Thorough experience and understanding of the Embedded Linux system including multistage boot process, kernel architecture and root file system
- Creation of custom embedded Linux distribution with Yocto project
- Experience with cross development environments for embedded Linux projects
- Client/Server computing architecture, Internetworking with TCP/IP, Cloud computing, IIoT.
- Secure network protocols an asset
- Proficient in C, C++, Java, Python
- Modbus TCP/RTU is a must; other industrial protocols such as BACnet IP, SNMP highly desired
- Experience with GUI development for industrial touch panels; Qt framework an asset.
- Mobile application development an asset
- Team player with ability to work interactively with others
- Demonstrates initiative and a passion for achieving results
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to travel to international destinations; must possess and maintain a valid passport for international travel.
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada without company sponsorship.
- Availability for occasional travel to international destinations (e.g. USA and Europe); must possess and maintain a valid passport for international travel.
Powersmiths offers competitive compensation and an excellent group health benefits plan.
Continue to advance your career in an environment that promotes customer-centric innovation, the pursuit of excellence and embraces diversity and respect, all while making a valuable contribution towards clean tech, energy conservation, and environmental sustainability.
Learn more at www.powersmiths.com
Learn more at www.socomec.com
If you believe you have the necessary skills and experience for this job, please upload your résumé and a detailed cover letter including your desired compensation.
Please reply to this ad through Indeed only, which makes it easier for us to communicate with you.
Upon request, we will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
We thank all those who apply. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
We have implemented many stringent health & safety protocols within our workplace including the wearing of masks, social distancing, handwashing and sanitization.
- Are you proficient in C, C++, Java, Python?
- Why are you interested in this role at Powersmiths?
- What are your salary expectations?
- Are you located in the Greater Toronto Area?
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- embedded Linux software development: 5 years (required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19