Located just outside Boston (Newton, MA), Vector Controls is a leading developer of marine propulsion and controls systems. Our technologies enable safe and reliable control of marine vessels under the strictest requirements, in the most severe operating and maneuvering conditions.
We specialize in extreme applications that require novel concepts to meet performance goals previously unachievable. Vector Controls has a strong track record for delivering innovative products that make a difference and add substantial value on behalf of customers and end-users. Navies, coast guards and leading builders around the world trust Vector for delivering propulsion control solutions.
We are a small tight-knit group with an ambitious start-up mentality and the resources of a well-established company, where an individual’s ability to work both independently and in teams is a key component of our success. At Vector Controls, personal and technical growth are strongly encouraged. We are currently seeking a motivated Embedded Software Engineer for a permanent full-time position.
The candidate will be responsible for the design, development, and integration of real time embedded software utilized in maritime Propulsion Systems.
- Design, develop, integrate, debug, and verify high-level software and low-level firmware drivers in C and C++
- Perform advanced systems engineering functions independently
- Prepare engineering documentation, including specifications, detailed design memoranda, test protocols, test reports, interface specifications, and technical procedures
- Provide in-house technical consultation in relation to existing products and ongoing product improvement
- Develop Visual Basic/C++ interfaces to test new and legacy systems
- Develop/write new tools to assist field work teams
- Support field operations by tracking down possible software issues reported by others
A degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering plus relevant industrial experience in Embedded systems, Digital Design, Electronics and Software Engineering. 3+ years’ experience preferred. A qualifying candidate must be well-versed in C/C++ and able to understand circuit-level schematics.
Experience with any combination of the following skills is desired:
- Embedded operating systems
- Closed-loop control systems (e.g., PID feedback control)
- Industry communication protocols (e.g., CAN / J1939 / NMEA 2000, RS232, Modbus)
- Software analysis of algorithms
- Test equipment (e.g., DMMs, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers)
- Popular embedded microcontroller families such as the TI C2000 (e.g., TMS320), TI Hercules (e.g., TMS570), and Microchip AVR MCUs (e.g., ATMega and ATtiny)
- Common embedded buses (e.g. RS232, SPI, I2C, 1-Wire) and microcontroller peripherals (e.g. timers, PWM, A/D converters)
- Standard tools for hardware debugging (e.g., Bus Pirate, Saleae Logic Analyzer)
- GUI interface development for in-house testing (e.g., Visual Basic) or end-user graphical interfaces (e.g., Qt)
- Low-level firmware development
- Handy software development tools (e.g., Python, SVN, Wiki)
No employment agencies or phone calls
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $110,000.00 to $160,000.00 /year
- relevant: 3 years (Preferred)
- software development: 3 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply