Floyd is comprised of 30+ talented, hard-working individuals who come to work each day with the mission of changing and improving the way people consume, keep, and enjoy furniture. Our products are built around the idea that well-designed furniture should be accessible, long-lasting, and ship to your door (not to mention beautiful!). We create innovative designs that challenge the common convention of furniture and the experience of buying it. We're venture-backed and growing fast!
Where You Come In
Thoughtful products are at the heart of what we create at Floyd – we need you to be an innovative leader as part of that process. Working out of our R&D Facility in Detroit, you'll be collaborating not only with engineers and designers, but cross-functionally with the operations, marketing, and CX teams to solve for some of the biggest challenges around furniture. With a big mission to fulfill, we move fast. If you're psyched to roll up your sleeves and help us become the world's most beloved furniture brand, we want to hear from you!
What You'll Do
- Work with the product design team to prototype, develop, and engineer furniture for the home.
- Solve engineering and design challenges to optimize for manufacturability and end-user function.
- Create SolidWorks parts, assemblies, and drawings ready for manufacturing release.
- Provide clear and organized communication to suppliers to help facilitate prototypes and convey product design intent.
- Perform testing of prototypes and finished products to ensure product performance, durability, and reliability.
- Define quality standards in collaboration with our suppliers and work to maintain outstanding product quality.
- Maintain product specifications and be an expert adviser to our customers and customer experience team.
- Re-engineer improvements to existing products.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical degree or certification.
- 2 years of work experience within mechanical engineering discipline.
- Knowledge of materials (steel, aluminum, wood, plastics) and manufacturing processes (forming, stamping, welding, die casting, powder coating, plating, and painting).
- A creative and aesthetic eye for mechanical problem solving.
- Experience working in a shop and making physical prototypes.
- Working knowledge of standard industry tolerances and can perform a basic tolerance stack-up analysis.
- Able to travel to support product development both domestically and internationally.
- Bias for action and getting stuff done.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Enjoy collaboration and working in a team environment.
- Ability to move FAST and can deal well with ambiguity and change.
- Experience with the development and engineering of consumer products.
- Woodworking experience and knowledge of different types of wood species.
- Experience with product testing (performance, durability, and reliability).
- Experience working directly with industrial designers.
- Packaging experience, especially with cardboard packaging.
- Competitive pay
- Health coverage
- Equity in a high-growth, venture-backed company
- 401(k) with employer match
- Flexible PTO and Paid Parental Leave
- Amazing mission-driven work culture
At Floyd we celebrate and support difference for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Floyd is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.