Reclamation is a contemporary water management agency. Reclamation is best known for Hoover Dam on the Colorado River, Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River and Folsom Dam on the American River. Today we are the largest wholesaler of water in the country and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the western United States. View our video titled "Traditions, Talent, and Teamwork" here.
Reclamation is seeking a career professional looking for an opportunity to capitalize on his/her experience as a Civil Engineer. You can make a difference in the West by assisting in meeting increasing water demands while protecting the environment.
Would you enjoy serving as a Senior Design Civil Engineer with technical responsibilities? You will be responsible for planning, management and direction of assigned design activities, including preconstruction, construction and specification level design of project features.
Here is a great opportunity to join a great organization with excellent growth potential!
Region 7, Upper Colorado Basin, Four Corners Construction Office, Engineering Division, Design Group, duty stationed in Farmington, New Mexico. For living conditions, click here
- Provides Analysis, guidance , coordination, negotiation, and technical design review and oversight of work of other design engineers with the Four Corners Construction Office, Regional Office, other area offices.
- Develops design data, designs, plans and specifications for a variety of layouts and structures, including buildings, canals, and river intake structures.
- Serves as a team member on architect and engineering (A&E) selection boards, Review of Operation and Maintenance, Technical proposal Evaluation Committees (TPEC).
- Reviews the work of other engineers, technicians and personnel within FCCO, and signing as Technical Approval or Peer Review.
- Utilizes AutoCAD Civil 3D, and other engineering software to prepare designs.
- Reviews and evaluates quantities calculations, contractor submittals, shop drawings for contract performance requirements.
- Provides lead technical review and response for all general and civil related contract submittals during construction.
- Serves as a liason to the Denver Technical Services for design data and design of project facilities.
Work is primarily sedentary except during occasional field visits when there is some walking, bending, climbing, and driving associated with occasional onsite inspections and collection of field design data. Lifting, carrying and moving objects up to 50 are required.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this vacancy announcement.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel required for field work, training or meetings; some overnight stays.
Job family (Series)
0810 Civil Engineering
Conditions of Employment
U.S. Citizen or National;
You must submit a resume and supporting documentation (See How to Apply);
You must meet specialized experience requirements (See Qualifications);
This position has positive education requirements MUST SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS;
Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation.
You must file an initial Financial Disclosure Form and annually thereafter.
You must meet all qualification requirements (including time-in-grade* restrictions and any applicable selective factors) by the closing date of this announcement.
Current career or career-conditional employees of the Federal government, or former career or career-conditional employees, who have a break in service of less than one year, are required to meet the time-in-grade restriction of one year of Federal experience at the next lower grade, with few exceptions outlined in 5 CFR 300.603(b). *Applicants eligible under the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) are not required to meet time-in-grade restrictions in order to be considered.
Basic Education Requirement - This position has a mandatory education requirement; you must furnish a copy of your transcript of college work completed (unofficial copy is acceptable). Transcripts must include the name of the college or university and date the degree was conferred. Non-submission will result in you being rated not qualified for the position.
professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics; (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics; such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience:
college level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1) Professional Registration:
Current registration as a professional engineer. Proof must be submitted with application. If you have achieved registration by means other than a written test, you will be eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of your registration.
2) Written Test:
Evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration.
3) Specified academic courses:
Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described in paragraph A.
4) Related curriculum:
Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g. physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology or geology may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
In addition to meeting the basic education qualification requirement(s) described above, applicants must also possess the following:
Specialized experience must demonstrate the applicant has been equipped with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, and that is directly related to the work to be performed.
Your resume must reflect at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as civil engineering experience in preparing and/or leading complex designs or management of complex construction projects associated with water treatment plants, pipelines, pumping plants, canal and river intake structures and headworks, water control structures, or dams.
This position requires a current valid professional engineering license. Failure to provide proof of this license with your application will make you ineligible.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g. professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has a mandatory education requirement; you must furnish a copy of your transcript of college work completed (unofficial copy is acceptable). Transcripts must include the name of the college or university and date the degree was conferred. Non-submission will result in you being rated not qualified for the position.
To receive credit for education completed outside the United States, applicants must show proof that the education has been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education has been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs. For further information, visit: here.
Reclamation has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
On your application, please include the names and current phone numbers for at least 3 supervisory references. If any individual is no longer available for contact, you are requested to provide the name and current phone number of another person with the company (team lead, acting supervisor, etc.) that would know your work history.
DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit: E-Verify.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Human Resources (HR) will review resumes and transcript(s) to ensure applicants meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided in the assessment questionnaire. The assessment questionnaire will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Applicants determined best qualified will be referred to the selecting official.
Applicants will be further evaluated on the following "Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)" through your resume and responses to the online questions:g needs.
Broad professional knowledge of a wide range of civil and related engineering concepts, principles and practices.
Knowledge of contracting procedures and practices; cost estimating techniques; specification writing, interpretation and use.
Ability to establish a collaborative working relationship with stakeholders and contractor personnel to ensure their needs are addressed.
Knowledge of project management in order to plan, integrate, organize and prioritize design and construction activities.
Applicant's answers to questions will be verified against information provided in their online resume. Be sure that the resume clearly supports the responses to all the questions by addressing experience, education and/or training relevant to this position. Applicants must make a fair and accurate assessment of their qualifications. Applicants who exaggerate or falsify their experience and/or education may be removed from employment consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to submit an on-line assessment questionnaire, and the following Supporting Documents, as appropriate:
- Resume: A resume with dates of employment: Your resume may be submitted in any format. If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application. For qualifications determinations, your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and mm/dd/yy to mm/dd/yy, OR mm/dd/yy to the date you are submitting the resume). If using an automated resume builder, be sure to include this specific information in the narrative portion of your work description. Any period of employment that does not include this specific information WILL NOT be credited toward meeting the qualifications requirements of the position.
- SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action: Status applicants (transfer, reassignment, reinstatement, promotion, etc.) MUST submit a copy of their SF-50, verifying highest rate of pay and documenting career or career-conditional status in the competitive service (Tenure 1 or 2) for which you are claiming eligibility. FAILURE TO SUBMIT AN SF-50 VERIFYING STATUS WILL RESULT IN THE APPLICANT NOT BEING CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
- For candidates eligible under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) you must submit the appropriate DD-214 (Member 4 Copy) documenting your eligibility.
- For information on veteran's eligibility visit: here.
- 30% Disabled Veterans: Please submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 Copy), a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, and the required documentation requested by this form.
- Special Non-Competitive Appointing Authorities: For more information on special non-competitive appointing authorities visit: here.
- CTAP/ICTAP provides placement assistance to permanent Federal employees who are surplus, displaced or involuntarily separated. Applicants claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of their most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility and most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with their application. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, applicants must be well-qualified, i.e. meet the minimum qualification requirements, including selective factors, education and experience requirements and score at least 90 on the assessment questionnaire as established, and be able to perform the duties of the position upon entry. For information on CTAP/ICTAP, visit: CTAP/ICTAP.
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) Eligibles: If you are a current or former land management agency appointee – you must provide documentation to verify eligibility as follows: a) A copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, that reflects having initially been hired under competitive examining procedures to a time limited (temporary/term) appointment; b) A copy of SF-50(s), Notification of Personnel Action(s), that reflect having served under one (1) or more time-limited (temporary/term) appointments by a land management agency for a period totaling more than 24 months without a break in service of two (2) or more years; and c) A copy of your Performance Appraisal Plan and/or Supervisor Memorandum that reflects having performed at an acceptable level during each period of service. For more information on LMWFA, visit: LMWFA.
- Current or former Public Land Corps (PLC) Eligibles: If you are a current or former Public Land Corps participant-you must provide documentation to verify eligibility as follows: a) Verification of Participant Work Hours for Conservation Projects. Document must reflect at a minimum 640 hours of satisfactory conservation project hours with at least 120 hours through PLC within the last 2 years; b) Certificate of Non-Competitive Eligibility. Signed documentation from a bureau PLC coordinator that a participant has satisfactorily completed all service requirements and meets eligibility for non-competitive hiring status.
- P.E. LICENSE: A current valid professional engineering license. Provide proof of license with your application.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Working for the Bureau of Reclamation offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees, visit the Benefits URL above.
Review our benefits