About the Position:
The Fraunhofer USA Center for Manufacturing Innovation (CMI) is looking for a full-time, hands-on Project Engineer to join its Energy Systems research team.
In this role, you will contribute to world-class research in energy technology relating to buildings and sustainable energy systems. Your field-testing work will generate critical data and insights about energy-consumption patterns, building equipment, and technologies that inform energy policy and investment decisions, and ultimately help drive a sustainable energy future.
You will prepare and deploy IOT data acquisition devices to rigorously evaluate emerging building energy technologies in residential, commercial, and industrial facilities. Data from these studies are used to evaluate and model the real-world performance and behaviors of energy systems and assess their energy savings and commercialization potential and you may also contribute to modeling and analysis tasks.
Desired Experience and Education:
- Develop, fabricate, test, and deploy custom, high-accuracy data acquisition, sensing and control solutions (to measure energy, temperature, humidity, occupancy, etc.) at remote field test sites
- Interface with contractors and customers to deploy, troubleshoot, maintain, and retrieve data acquisition systems from test sites
- Support implementation of remote data collection infrastructure
- Support building performance data analyses, including model development and application of models for the performance of building equipment and systems
- Contribute to technical reports, articles, and presentations to communicate project findings to clients and stakeholders
- Strong desire to travel for field testing (up to 50-75%)
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in Electrical or related discipline
- Aptitude for deploying data acquisition systems, in both field and laboratory environments, with high attention to detail
- Experience with wireless sensor networks is highly preferred
- Familiarity with the operating principles of electric equipment and building systems
- Ability to work concurrently and independently on multiple projects
- Ability to accept a high degree of responsibility in a team-based organization
- Effective communication skills
Fraunhofer USA is an equal opportunity employer of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities and is a Federal Contractor.
About Fraunhofer USA CMI:
As an affiliate of the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Europe’s largest and most respected applied research and development organization, it is our primary objective to provide customers in the private and public sector with world-class technology solutions. The Energy Systems Group accelerates the adoption of sustainable energy technologies through scientific research and engineering innovation. Our staff has expertise in smart energy-efficient buildings, grid technologies, and solar photovoltaics and collaborates on R&D projects with private companies, government entities, and academic institutions. Fraunhofer USA, a 501(c)(3) non-profit contract R&D organization.