Type of Contract:
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 24,100 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet plan crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources and fostering better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €10.2 billion in 2019. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels (SOLB) and Paris and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program.
Novecare develops and produces formulations that alter the properties of liquids. It offers solutions to the oil and gas industry using an extensive range of surface chemistries combined with applications expertise. Novecare also provide specialty solutions for certain industrial applications, agricultural, and coatings markets.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
- Follow all site safety rules and procedures; perform all work in a safe manner per Solvay’s Life Saving Rules. Including all appropriate safety and operational checklists and inspections.
- Represent Solvay Inc. through daily actions that reinforce corporate values; demonstrating personal commitment to a safe, healthy and environmentally sound workplace for employees.
- Operate all production chemical processing equipment including reactors, feeders, heat exchangers, piping networks, hoses, pumps, valves, instruments, vessels, scales, tanks, scrubbers, meters, filters, railcars, etc.
- Maintain operating equipment within environmental permit restrictions and Solvay operational guidelines, including conducting permit mandated shift inspections and documentation.
- Conduct DCS operation to manipulate equipment controlled by the DCS in the chemical processing units.
- Maintain appropriate batch and shift paper work.
- Maintain a clean and organized workplace meeting the housekeeping standard established by the Production Superintendent.
- Minimize waste generation.
- Report any process upset, spill, injury, chemical release, security event, etc.
- Perform in process laboratory testing.
- Authorize safe work permits as required.
- Prepare work notifications for maintenance, authorize safe work permits, and prepare the equipment for maintenance.
- Perform autonomous maintenance activities as directed by the Production Superintendent.
- Attend all required HSE and process training activities as directed.
- Participate in the facilities behavioral based safety observation program SMASH.
- Participate in the plant’s Process Safety Management program by lending experience and knowledge of plant operations.
- Participate in incident investigation and incident clean up and remediation as required.
- Responsible to maintain a quality management system that meets the requirements of the ISO 9001 2015 standard.
- Focus efforts in four areas which include Safety, Customer Focus, Manufacturing Excellence, Continuous Improvement, and Sustainability.
- During emergency responses, initiate the Emergency Response System, shutdown equipment in a safe manner, shut off the source of the incident, evacuate per plant policies, and remove appropriate safety equipment.
- Be a member of the site Emergency Response Team
Education and Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent education
- AAS in Process Technology or at least 5 years of experience in chemical manufacturing is preferred
- Experience on an industrial Emergency Response Team (ERT) is preferred
- Experience utilizing SAP to input work notifications, view production schedule, and modify inventory transactions is preferred
- Knowledge of the 49 CFR Hazardous Material Regulations manual
- Work with engineers, production specialists, quality assurance technicians, distribution technicians, as well as other plant personnel to safely and efficiently accomplish plant responsibilities.
- Physically lift objects, weight of up to 50 lbs.
- Safely operate fork trucks, drive yard tractor to manipulate box and tank trailers, operate track mobile for spotting rail tank cars in the plant site.
- Knowledge of chemical processing equipment including reactors, feeders, heat exchangers, piping networks, hoses, pumps, valves, instruments, vessels, scales, tanks, scrubbers, meters, etc. This skill includes the ability to troubleshoot and properly identify causes of production equipment and process upsets.
- Demonstrate basic PC skills required for electronic communications, maintenance work orders, incident/accident reporting, plant information, to conduct production materials management responsibilities, and data retrieval (MSDS). These skills include functional capabilities in: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, SAP, Gmail, and Google Suite.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately communicate and work with peers, superiors, engineers, and other unit personnel, and in a positive and respectful manner.
- Ability to effectively train peers on all aspects of the Production Operator job responsibilities.
- This position requires the employee to work a 12 hour rotating shift schedule that can involve days and nights. This schedule also requires being available for overtime during certain periods (either scheduled overtime, or being on call in case unscheduled overtime is required), working weekends, and holidays.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently: exposed to wet, hot, and/or humid conditions; working around moving mechanical parts; working at height; working in environments that could contain fumes, airborne particles, acids, bases, high hazardous chemicals; outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment often exceeds 85 decibels. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to climb stairs and ladders under exterior weather conditions multiple times per day. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 55 pounds including the ability to push/pull up to 75 pounds. Must be able to perform work tasks while utilizing respirator, chemical suit and other appropriate PPE.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.