Founded in 1986, VMAC Global Technology Inc. the leader in compressed air innovation®, designing and manufacturing the most innovative mobile air compressors and multi-power systems available, all within its 40,000 square foot facility in Nanaimo, BC. Known for its innovation and technical advancements in manufacturing and engineering, VMAC’s products are sold through a dealer network of over 300 global partners in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and the Middle East.
As a LEAN organization, VMAC focuses on continuous improvement throughout operations, far beyond just manufacturing. Improvement of processes and systems, safety, and respect for all coworkers and stakeholders is part of VMAC’s core culture.
An award-winning organization, VMAC was named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies and Best Workplaces™ in Manufacturing for 2020 and is Great Place To Work Certified™.
VMAC offers a competitive wage, employee profit-sharing plan, a comprehensive benefits package, and an inclusive, dynamic work environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Clear concise communication skills. Ability to raise concerns as soon as they become problematic. Be an active part of an agile development team that constantly leans on others in the group for assistance when faced with a challenging problems/situations
- Finish tasks within allocated time frame and with attention to detail
- Circuit design, simulation, layout, population, debug
- Firmware design/modification, debug.
- Unit testing (firmware), development and execution
- Root cause analysis of electrical/electronic failures
- Follow existing VMAC standard work practices for drawings, circuit design, wiring harnesses and code development
- Pride of ownership of work completed
Under close supervision and in an environment of progressive peer learning and support:
- Develop, code and test embedded applications on systems containing ARM and/or PIC architectures with OLED/LCD displays, LEDs, user I/O, I2C, SPI, CAN, ADC, etc, custom applications. Primary language is C however an understanding of assembly is required.
- Develop, code and implement unit tests for embedded modules.
- Participate and/or lead constructive peer design review meetings for firmware/PCB/schematic/electro-mechanical devices
- Complete and issue Engineering Change Notices (ECN) related to electronics, electronic housings, wiring harnesses and firmware for a variety of systems used at VMAC Global Technology Inc.
- Develop circuits and create PCBs in Circuit Studio/Altium (experience in Eagle is also an asset)
- Develop and create simple electro-mechanical devices used to semi-automate production electronics testing and verification. Understand and modify existing firmware/electronics as required
- Participate in root cause analysis of warranty claims related to electrical/electronics
- Create and/or modify existing wiring harness documentation in Solidworks
- Assist with technical support/Quality issues as required
- Evaluate potential new technologies and present advantages/disadvantages to each technology
Preference will be given to those who have experience in:
- Automobile Tier 1 Industry Experience
- Design with ISO-26262 awareness, compliance and support
- Permanent magnet motor design and test
- Altium PCB designer
- Circuit Studio PCB designer
- Embedded C based programming/debugging/development
- Embedded applications
- Android/iPhone app development
- IOT development
- Test driven development
- Experience with LCD/LED/OLED displays
- Hand soldering SMT/through-hole components for prototypes
- Experience with typical EE test equipment: Multimeter, soldering iron, oscilloscopes etc.
- Design for manufacture
- Strong analytical/debugging skills typical in embedded applications
- Mechanical aptitude, electro-mechanical aptitude
- Interesting hobbies outside of work
Qualifications / Education / Experience
- BSc in Electrical Engineering or Technologist with 3-5 years of embedded development experience
- Strong firmware embedded technical skills
- Experience with hardware design/debug
Expected start date: 2020-12-07
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $62,482.00-$76,366.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Electrical Engineering: 1 year (Preferred)