Pivotal Commware develops 5G communications platforms, systems and applications based on Holographic Beam Forming® , a patented breakthrough in electromagnetic physics. HBF allows Pivotal to create software-defined antennas that can harness, shape and direct radio waves with order-of magnitude advantages over legacy beamforming systems in cost, size, weight and power consumption (C-SWaP). HBF enables mobile network operators to maximize capacity, coverage and throughput on demand and is recognized as an essential element in the 5G ecosystem. 5G leadership is pivotal to the US economy, and 5G is Pivotal™.
Pivotal Commware is seeking a Research oriented Mechanical Engineer with experience in the co-design of RF/Microwave hardware to join our team. Expertise is needed for rationalizing high volume, low cost manufacturing techniques against demanding system requirements in the areas of custom RF interconnects, thermal management, and radome integration.
The candidate will be responsible for validating novel techniques sourced from both internal invention and external vendors. Execution skills in rapid prototyping and testing are critical. The candidate will be working in a very quick design cycle environment and should be willing and ready to work hands-on. This position embeds with the mechanical engineering team but reports directly to the CTO.
- Work with RF, Mechanical and Production engineering teams to understand areas where innovative mechanical engineering solutions are critically needed
- Steer designs toward structures suitable for high volume manufacturing environments
- Formulate and execute strategies to triage, prototype, test and validate novel assembly techniques and processes
- Facilitate knowledge transfer between R&D, product design, test, and production teams
- Develop and Document resulting intellectual property
- Mechanical Engineering PhD with 6 years or Masters with 10 years post academic experience working on wireless products
- Deep expertise on ultra-high-volume wireless product manufacturing processes (cellular phones, tablets, smart-TVs)
- Working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing techniques and practices
- Familiarity with 2D and 3D CAD tools such as Solid Works, AutoCAD, etc…
- Understanding of modern Printed Circuit Board fabrication and methods of mechanically interfacing to them (RF interconnects, DC interfacing, mechanical stabilization)
- Thermal, stress/strain, and other analysis of PCB and device packaging
- Basic understanding of RF terminology and figures of merit
- Experience in the mechanical design of cellular base station products
- Experience manufacturing commercial radomes
- Design for environmental and standards testing such as IP65-IP67 and DO-160
- Experience with rapid prototyping techniques translatable to high volume production
Pivotal was named among Washington’s Top 100 Places to Work in 2018, 2019 & 2020. At Pivotal you will join a team experienced in advanced communications, RAN system development and deployment, commercial antenna’s, RF design, cloud-based management software and machine learning. If you want to apply yourself to this fascinating endeavor, then we would like to hear from you!
Pivotal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce.