Calumet Specialty Products partners, L.P. is a leading independent producer of high-quality, specialty hydrocarbon products. Our product lines include both naphthenic and paraffinic oils, aliphatic solvents, synthetic lubricants, asphalt, fuels, white mineral oils, waxes, petroleum and hydrocarbon gels. Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P. has one of the most diverse specialty hydrocarbon capabilities in the world.
Want to learn more? Go to www.calumetspecialty.com to learn all about our amazing line of products.
PURPOSE AND ROLE:
The Instrumentation Engineer will maintain and enhance refinery reliability and production through
instrumentation support. This position is responsible for instrumentation implementation and design, and automation systems interfaces. The Instrumentation Engineer reports to the Control Systems Engineering Supervisor.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports and coordinates resources within Calumet, contractors, and suppliers
- Maintains and fosters productive relationships with engineering and construction contractors and equipment suppliers
- Project involvement from conceptual design to implementation as well as project management duties
- Communicates well with maintenance, operations, and corporate engineering and management. Develops clear scope of work for each project
- Maintains / updates / creates instrumentation documentation; may be required to maintain or update automation systems documentation
- Provides instrumentation and automation engineering to maintenance, operations, and
projects. This will include specifying and selecting primary elements (transmitters and switches), control and shutoff valves, reviewing and approving vendor data sheets and calculations. Review instrument installation details and work with site staff to ensure that instruments and valves are specified, installed, and operating correctly. ensure instrumentation is specified and installed correctly for hazardous areas
- Manages small instrumentation and automation capital and expense projects. Coordinates deliverables and reviews third party work
- Develops, updates, and reviews P&IDs, loop diagrams, instrument lists, and datasheets. Provides support during startups; may assist (typically by phone) instrument technicians in troubleshooting
- May work on automation projects including DCS and PLC upgrades. Works closely with controls group to ensure interface (instrumentation to control systems) requirements are
resolved and captured
- Maintains knowledge and correctly applies industry codes and standards, including ISA and
- Additional duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- B.S. Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering degree required
- Minimum 2 – 5-years of experience in instrumentation or automation systems engineering
- Experience in an oil refining or petrochemical environment preferred, but not required
- Prior field-based experience with instruments, valves, analyzers, and process control is required. Familiarity with DCS and PLC systems and interface requirements to instrumentation is required
- Prior procurement experience (developing bid lists, procurement specifications, and bid evaluations) preferred
- Solid understanding and proficiency with stage-gate project management processes
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrated commitment to personnel and process safety, environmental protection, and
- Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and work independently
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with different priorities
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.