Senior Engineer - Commercial Tire Development EngineerFull Time
Richburg, SC, US
The Commercial Tire Development Engineer is responsible for all phases of commercial tire development for North America. The process involves market intelligence and competitor analysis, definition of targets, concept and prototype generation, and iterations on design of cavity, construction, pattern, and compound, as well as associated indoor and outdoor testing to achieve performance objectives. Travel to international (China & other) and domestic destinations several times a year may be required to accomplish these responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, the individual shall be familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the tire industry. The qualified individual relies on their experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A high degree of association of “performance cause and effect” is required of this position with an emphasis of performance tradeoffs. He/she is expected to perform a variety of tasks. A wide degree of creativity, initiative, integrity, self-discipline and excellent communication skills are required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides input to product master plan for North American market.
- Coordinating with global Marketing and R&D, defines targets, timing, and cost for specific prototype tire development projects.
- Defines and coordinates required indoor and field testing and analyzes and reports the results.
- Collaborates with the global network of R&D associates to develop prototype cavity, construction, and pattern concepts and drawings.
- Provides input on modifications to mold, construction, and compound necessary to achieve the prototype performance targets.
- Designs (or supervises design of) subsequent sizes of new products.
- Attends conferences and industry events and takes training and professional development courses.
- Trains other engineers and develops standard tire design methods and design guides.
- Represents the company at industry and trade organizations, standardizing bodies, and meetings with dealers and end user customers.
- Serves as a technical resource to Marketing and the Sales organizations.
- Performs miscellaneous and other job-related duties as assigned.
Skills / Qualifications
Excellent Oral/Written Communication
MS Office Proficiency
Excellent Organizational Skills
Excellent Interpersonal Skills
Sensitivity to Cultural Differences
Education / Training
This position requires at least a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience as a Development Engineer within the tire industry.
Prior experience in the tire industry in a similar role is required.
Job Type: Full-time