Under the general supervision of the Highway Superintendent and General Foreman, perform skilled manual work in the maintenance, repair and construction of drainage facilities, sidewalks and streets; all other related work as required.
- Rebuild catch basins; repair and install drainage pipes, rout out and replace culverts; repair damaged fences, mailboxes, stone/brick walls and lamp posts.
- Prepare road beds for proper drainage; remove boulders; lay out and repair sidewalks; adjust roadway and utility structures; investigate and repair sink holes; remove curbs for driveways.
- Check all work performed for proper completion; maintain tools and equipment.
- Maintain established quality and quantity standards. Follow prescribed safety precautions, established department and Town policies, procedures, rules and regulations. Detect and report improper operations, and faulty equipment. Maintain equipment in a clean, orderly, operational and safe condition.
- Maintain written records of work performed.
- Perform related duties as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Must possess a CDL and Hoisting Engineers license 1B, 4E or equivalent HEML
- Considerable knowledge of the mechanics of the varied equipment involved.
- Demonstrated skill in operating all types of heavy and special equipment and thorough knowledge of the hazards in the use of heavy and special equipment.
- Thorough working knowledge of materials, methods and techniques of road and drainage construction and repair.
- Ability to follow written and/or oral instructions.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of the tools and materials related to public works construction and repair.
Education and Experience
Duties require high school diploma; three years maintenance and repair experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. CDL and Hoisting Engineers license 1B, 4E or equivalent HEML required.
Drug and Alcohol screening is a condition of employment.
- Duties require continuous physical effort such as frequent heavy lifting of 50 pounds or more.
- Continuous stooping, reaching, crawling, bending, kneeling, squatting and pushing/pulling weights up to 100 pounds.
- Frequent outside work performed under varying weather conditions as and at time subject to dirt, masonry debris and other disagreeable factors. Extensive hours may be required for snow/ice removal duties in the wintertime.
Town of Andover Classification Review
Revised September 23, 2004