Provides computer engineering support to implement or improve production equipment and/or systems including, but not limited to, automated assembly, process lines and manufacturing processes; with a heavy focus on implementing new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, IoT, etc.
- Leads or supports problem investigations and/or design reviews for new or existing systems and technologies related to the manufacturing environment. Creates technical summaries and presents results of activities, including recommendations. Investigates, researches, and/or analyzes new technology to determine the need for modifications or improvement to existing equipment/systems.
- Determines the feasibility of introducing new equipment, processes, or technologies into the current production environment. Working knowledge of automated production equipment or systems, such as instruments, controls, controls, wireless networks and electrical systems. Develops/ initiates concepts and implementation plans for new systems, processes and/or technologies based on engineering principles and practices. Creates Proof of Concept plans following Design of Experiments (DOE) methodologies and executes accordingly.
- Coordinates and/or participates in peer review of system specifications, concept/detail equipment designs, performance requirements, risk assessments, environmental or safety requirements. Makes design changes as necessary based on review results. Coordinates fabrication and testing of new systems for in-house projects. Coordinates and communicates with affected departments throughout the development/ implementation process.
- Designs, develops, assembles, and tests prototype systems for new/ improved functions and/or processes. Analyzes data to verify efficiency/ reliability of prototypes. Creates new or modified system designs. Develops conceptual ideas into practical applications for the production environment (systems for process optimization, automation, inspection, packaging, etc.).
- Develops and writes system specifications, performance requirements, cost analyses, and proposals for integrating systems and devices into the production environment. Basic knowledge and understanding of standards to determine applicability to current and future systems and/ or processes (ANSI, RIA, NFPA, NEC, etc).
- Works with a team to perform Risk Assessments to ensure compliance with OSHA and industry consensus standards (ANSI, RIA, NFPA, ISO, etc.). Possesses basic knowledge of industrial vision systems.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of statistical, data analysis, and artificial intelligence systems. Systems such as but not limited to, Bayesian networks, machine learning (regression, classification, and clustering models), deep learning, convolutional neural networks. May coordinate system installation activities including the delivery, installation, and commissioning of systems. Develops implementation alternatives/options and proposes them to management for review and approval. Reviews contractor proposals with Purchasing and evaluates vendors and proposed systems. Presents recommendations to management for review and approval.
- Creates and updates detailed, comprehensive schedules for the projects/ tasks/ responsibilities assigned. Identifies schedule/ priority conflicts and develops countermeasure recommendations. Proactively tracks progress and initiates actions to meet milestones. Develops knowledge of Scrum methodologies; participates in daily scrums.
- Estimates and summarizes resource requirements for projects/tasks/department/division including expense budgets, capital investment budgets and/or manpower required for review/ approval with management. Determines Return on Investment (ROI) and cost benefit calculations. Creates and/or updates documentation for the operation and/or maintenance of systems.
- May assist with development of new members by providing training for specific areas of responsibility / knowledge. May lead or mentor Level 1 engineer(s). May be assigned additional duties and/or special projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field and 2-5 years’ experience preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with C++, C#, Python and other programming languages.
- Strong mathematical skills (Calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.) Ability to interpret electrical schematics/ diagrams/ drawings/ P&IDs a plus. Experience with robotic programming and vision systems a plus.
- Understanding of panel layout design a plus. Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Experience with and implementation of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and other advanced statistical algorithms preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with distributed controls, embedded systems, networking & communication, cloud computing, data security and various modern database architectures.
- Experience with Artificial Intelligence Systems such as Google TensorFlow, Microsoft Azure, GE Predix.
- May have to work overtime and may be assigned to other shifts based on company needs.
About our Company - Canon Virginia, Inc. located in Newport News, Virginia is a global manufacturer for Canon’s office and consumer products. Our innovative and efficient production methods along with our environmental commitment make us a leading global manufacturer. Since opening our doors in 1985, Canon Virginia has provided world class manufacturing services. It is the policy of Canon Virginia, Inc. (CVI) to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or physical/mental disability except where there is a bona fide occupational qualification. This policy relates to all phases of recruitment, employment, compensation, benefits administration and participation in company sponsored employee activities. This includes hiring, promotions, demotions, transfers, layoffs, recall, training and terminations. Employment practices will conform to all federal, state and local laws on non-discrimination. http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm