Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is a leader in Heavy Underground Construction. We have been pushing the boundaries of innovation since 1965. Our team of skilled employees, paired with an extensive inventory of equipment has allowed us to build a project portfolio that varies in size, scope and level of complexity. To date, the Jay Dee team has completed over 100 miles of safe and effective underground spaces and tunnels in a variety of soil conditions, including soft ground and hard rock. We encourage you to learn more by visiting our website: http://www.jaydee.us/careers/.
JOB SUMMARY: Jay Dee Contractors is looking for an experienced Field Engineer to transition to an Estimator position at our corporate office. The estimator position will be responsible for reviewing bid requirements, securing subcontractor and vendor pricing, and preparing estimates for hard rock, soft ground tunnels, cast-in-place structures, micro-tunneling, and sewer and water projects. Approximately 15-20% travel is required to attend pre-bid meetings and support active jobs.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review bid requirements for projects ranging from $30 million to $750 million ensuring all aspects of the project are documented and accounted for
- Prepare takeoffs and secure subcontractor and vendor pricing.
- Identify, manage, and maintain relationships with subcontractors and vendors, ensuring bids are completed accurately and timely.
- Facilitate the transition of bid documents and subcontractor and vendor buyout information to the Project Manager.
- Review drawings with the Project team and highlight any areas of concern.
- Track and analyze project budget vs. actual costs.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with current and future clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Construction, or Mining Engineering, Construction Management, or related field; or eight years of equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3-5 years of field engineering experience on heavy civil construction projects. Self-perform concrete experience is preferred.
- Experience and proficiency with AutoCAD.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to communicate professionally in both verbal and written format.
- Ability to take direction, read, and understand plans and specifications.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and ability to follow through and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of construction and scheduling techniques, P6 scheduling proficiency is a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk and is occasionally required to balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, or age. Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an at will employer. EOE/AA Employer D/V/M/F.
Job Type: Full-time
- self-perform concrete: 3 years (Preferred)
- AutoCAD: 3 years (Required)
- field engineer on heavy civil construction projects: 3 years (Required)