$15 an hour
SALEM Engineering Group, Inc. is a multi-disciplined consulting firm providing services in Geotechnical, Civil, Structural, Environmental, and Forensic Engineering, Engineering Geology, Construction Inspection and Materials Testing. Our experienced and highly qualified staff of engineers, geologists, environmental assessors, scientists and construction inspection professionals brings a responsive team-oriented approach to project management. Our services are offered throughout California and the Western United States.
We are looking for a Lab Technician for our Rancho Cucamonga, California office. Qualified candidates will have at least 1 year of laboratory experience with construction materials. This position will be part-time working 20-30 hours per week. This position will perform laboratory tests to determine physical characteristics of soils, concrete, and other construction materials for such purposes as engineering analysis, quality assurance reporting, and forensic assessments by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Sets up, adjusts and operates laboratory equipment and instruments such as laboratory scales, direct shear machines, expansion index machines, consolidation machines, R-Value machines, soil compaction machines, specimen compression machines, moisture gauges, sieves, and other equipment.
· Tests soils in a laboratory for such qualities as moisture, density, composition, color, absorption, expansion, compaction, and/or plasticity.
· Laboratory testing of materials used during construction such as concrete, grout, mortar, shotcrete, and asphalt for such qualities as composition, compressive strength, and/or effective remaining life, if applicable.
· Tests solutions used in processes such as determining in-situ soil and/or asphalt compaction or other characteristics.
· Tests materials for presence and content of elements or substances such as hydrocarbons, sulfur, ash, or impurities.
· Tests samples of manufactured products to verify conformity to specifications.
· Records test results on standardized forms.
· Prepares graphs and charts.
· Cleans and/or sterilizes laboratory equipment.
· Calibrates some laboratory instruments.
· Prepares minimal chemical solutions according to provided standard formulas.
· Adds chemicals or raw materials to process solutions or product batches to correct or establish formulation required to meet specifications.
· Assists with preparing, performing, and maintaining all laboratory certifications including but not limited to CALTRANS, AASHTO, AMRL, CCRL, DSA, and NICET.
· Any other duties assigned by management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before supervisors and/or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
None are required, but acquisition of individual CALTRANS certifications is highly encouraged. ACI (American Concrete Institute) Laboratory Testing Certification is also encouraged.
Work schedule varies with seasonal demands; flexibility during winter and rainy seasons is necessary.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
This Company Describes Its Culture as: