At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Principal Engineer Propulsion for our Elkton, Maryland location.
The Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Propulsion Systems and Controls (PS&C) facility in Elkton, Maryland began solid-propellant rocket operations in 1948. Today, the Elkton PS&C facility designs, develops, and produces solid-propellant propulsion and ordnance systems in programs professionally managed for a wide variety of Government and commercial customers. The facility also serves as the hub for offsite engineering and test facilities in Ronkonkoma, NY, Palm Beach Gardens, FL and San Jose, CA.
Perform design of one or more moderately complex or portions of structural components and functional systems of company products. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product. Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts. Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
- Performs design of one or more moderately complex or portions of structural components and functional systems.
- With limited supervision, applies theoretical knowledge and engineering techniques to the solution of more complex components, structures, and sub-assemblies.
- Responds in a timely manner to all requests and explores all avenues within authority and makes appropriate referrals to other sources.
- Makes thoughtful and valuable suggestions and recommendations for improving own work and/or group's work.
- Makes thoughtful and valuable suggestions and recommendations for improving own work and/or group's work. Perform design, development, and/or analysis to support assigned projects.
- Establish requirements for materials, structural components, and functional systems.
- Release results as design data after review from other engineers.
- Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution.
- Develop original ideas on preliminary design concepts with other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
- Document results of design activities.
- Requires Bachelors in Engineering & 2 years of experience or Master's Degree in Engineering & 0 years of experience or a PhD.
- Ability to obtain a Secret Clearance which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite.
- Current active Security Clearance
- Experience with design of composite and bonded structures
- Proficiency with Siemens NX and Teamcenter
- Ability to interpret and apply Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Ability and willingness to travel
This position falls under a Federal Explosives License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) for this location. Candidates hired into this role will be required to complete and submit an Employee Possessor Questionnaire to ATF for approval to be a possessor
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.