Primary Purpose of Position:
Assist in maintaining the integrity and efficient operation of building systems in all assigned buildings and perform a variety of tenant services in accordance to Boston Properties’ established operational and safety procedures.
- Under the direction and supervision of a Building Engineer and/or Assistant Chief Engineer and/or Chief Engineer:
- Maintain, repair and ensure the efficient operation of all building systems. Building systems may include HVAC, pneumatic control, water treatment program, electrical, lighting, plumbing, energy management, fire protection, structural, hardware and keying.
- Perform maintenance on all equipment
- Perform tests and physical inspection of all fire suppression and alarm systems, providing technical support and cooperation to the Fire Safety Director and the Property Manager
- Test and maintain treatment program of all HVAC water systems
- Perform various services for tenants
- Receive work assignments, plan work to be performed and obtain necessary tools, equipment and materials. Complete work/assignments and paperwork in a timely manner.
- Keep the shop, equipment rooms and common areas clean, organized and safe. Provide proper care to the assigned equipment, tools, and uniforms.
- Maintain a logbook on daily activities/events.
- Respond to tenant requests and complaints regarding building operations.
- Available for 1) various shifts, 2) to fill in for other personnel, and 3) to occasionally work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays to ensure adequate building coverage and perform necessary repairs. Respond to after hours emergencies such as fire, flooding, severe weather (including snow and ice removal) power outage and other situations including clean-up activities.
- Promote and contribute toward overall effort in maintaining a high standard in the operation and appearance of the building(s) and grounds as well as positive tenant relations through daily work practices.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Pursuant to the terms of the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement:
- The Union shall have five (5) business days to supply qualified candidates for this position
- An individual selected to fill this position must become a member of the Union after the thirtieth day following employment
- A High School diploma or equivalent educational certification preferred.
- Possess basic mechanical aptitude.
- Exhibit a willingness to learn.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and as a productive member of a team.
- Ability to organize and coordinate responsibilities efficiently.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, tenants, and vendors.
- Basic computer skills necessary to operate computer for general day to day work.
- Ability to demonstrate exemplary tenant relations and provide excellent customer service.
Internal and External Contacts:
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach and use arms to perform tasks as well as push and pull objects and grasp with hands.
- Regularly required to talk and hear and occasionally required to taste and smell.
- Frequently required to sit, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl, balance, climb stairs and ladders, work at heights and in environments with temperature ranges while working outside and inside.
- Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, and occasionally required to lift/move 50+ pounds.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
- Involves movement between departments, buildings, and floors to facilitate work.
- The position interacts extensively with tenants, vendors, and contractors, as well as other employees within Boston Properties.
- Receive immediate supervision and direction from the Building Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer, and/or Chief Engineer. In the absence of a supervising Engineer, the Property Manager will provide supervision, direction and assistance. Work performance is reviewed on a periodic basis.