Job Status: Full Time
Reports To: Head, Protein Biochemistry and
Job Type: Regular/Exempt Molecular Biology
Grade/Level: Scientist/Sr. Scientist
Amount of Travel Required: < 10%
Genective, a JV between two leading global seeds companies, Limagrain and KWS, is seeking a Protein Engineer/Biochemist to join our growing team in the U.S. This scientist will be a member of our early stage research team that is focused on the discovery and development of insecticidal genes to support deregulation and commercialization of biotech corn traits. The primary working location at Genective’s global headquarters in Champaign, IL while occasionally working at the research facility in Weldon, IL may be required.
In addition to technical expertise in standard biochemical lab techniques, the main responsibilities of this post include but are not limited to:
- Design, generate, and characterize recombinant proteins, including insecticidal proteins to improve target specificity, activity, and/or plant expression using protein engineering tools.
- Evaluate existing and new technologies to optimize and streamline discovery platforms.
- Actively seek out stakeholder needs and objectives to support biochemistry and molecular biology platforms.
- Independently plan, design, execute, record, and analyze studies. Write and review technical protocols and reports.
- Participate and contribute to project planning, updates, and completion. Effectively communicate experimental results across multiple teams by distilling complex information to readily interpreted conclusions.
- Utilize knowledge and expertise to proactively engage members of Genective R&D team to promote an energetic culture of science and community.
- Demonstrate a core desire for continuous improvement through exchange of constructive advice with other scientists regardless of seniority level.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. with a minimum of 2 years of post-doctoral training focused on protein structure/function is essential.
- Hands-on experience with protein engineering tools, including construct design, construction, expression using bacterial and mammalian/insect cell systems, purification/characterization, and optimization of recombinant proteins.
- A proven track record of functional protein improvement using chimeric recombinant sequences, sire-directed/random mutagenesis is highly desired.
- Strong knowledge of protein structure modeling and protein structure/function relationships is also highly desired.
- Excellent English oral, written, presentation, and time management skills as demonstrated through peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- Ability to work, think critically, analyze and interpret data independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced and agile environment.
Competitive base salary, bonus, 401(K), medical, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance plans, as well as support programs for fitness, education, and employee referral. Find your career and make an impact in a dynamic and informal discovery research environment that is highly collaborative, trusting, and entrepreneurial.
Genective is a 50/50 joint venture established in 2011 between Limagrain and KWS, two of the world’s largest seed companies. With entities and activities in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia, Genective is currently dedicated to the research, development, and marketing of transgenic traits for corn.
As the fourth largest seed company worldwide, Limagrain’s mission is to move agriculture forward to meet global food related challenges. Limagrain is a cooperative group founded and managed by French farmers. Its parent company, Coopérative Limagrain, brings together nearly 2,000 farmers located in the center of France. The Group creates, produces and distributes field seeds, vegetable seeds and cereal products. Limagrain is present in 56 countries and has more than 10,000 employees. It makes nearly 2.5 billion Euros of sales with recognized brands on their markets: LG, Vilmorin, Hazera, Harris Moran, Jacquet, Brossard.
KWS is one of the world’s leading plant breeding companies. In the fiscal year 2017/18 more than 5,000 employees in 70 countries generated net sales of EUR 1,068 million and earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) of EUR 133 million. A company with a tradition of family ownership, KWS has operated independently for more than 160 years. It focuses on plant breeding and the production and sale of seed for corn, sugar beet, cereals, rapeseed, sunflowers and vegetables. KWS uses leading-edge plant breeding methods to increase farmers’ yields and to improve resistance to diseases, pests and abiotic stress. To that end, the company invested approximately EUR 200 million last fiscal year in research and development.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
Compliant with CDC guidelines. We also implement a am/pm shift, maintain social distance and a facial mask wearing policy. We benefit from on-campus free rapid testing.
We have developed and successfully implemented a direct and indirect exposure plan.
- Protein function/structure: 2 years (Required)
- Protein engineering: 2 years (Preferred)
- Champaign, IL 61820 (Required)