To provide on-site coordination for all phases of light commercial construction projects, including but not limited to coordinating subcontractors, material and equipment, ensuring that specifications are being strictly followed, and work is proceeding on schedule and within budget. Superintendent shall be responsible for scheduling, inspections, quality control, job site cleanliness and safety.
Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities:
- Schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in critical path to ensure timely project completion.
- Perform quality control duties and responsibilities regarding the work being performed.
- Communicate with project team regarding RFI’s, Submittals, and other critical communication.
- Ensure that subcontractor is fully executing and complying with his contracted scope of work.
- Coordinate required inspections with local jurisdictions and third-party inspectors as required.
- Identify subcontractor non-compliance with safety, health and environmental quality standards.
- Identify conflicts in construction progress and communicate them to project team for resolution.
- Maintain daily log within software (Procore) of activities on the jobsite.
- Perform Superintendent duties at multiple job sites, simultaneously.
- Ensure subcontractor has corrected all deficiencies identified by project team.
- Walk project daily to monitor activities and assist in future planning.
- Preside over weekly subcontractor meetings designed to coordinate the work.
- Issue notices of non-compliance to subcontractors in regards to quality of work or scheduling.
- Ensure the job site is always kept in a clean and organized manner.
- Perform job progress and completion punch list identification and completion.
- Maintain and ability to self-perform punch list tasks and other miscellaneous items as the job requires.
- Maintain openness to travel up to 5 days a week depending on job-site location and schedule
- Assist in budgeting, bidding and award of subcontracts.
- Assist in obtaining permits or approval of revisions.
- Gather project material submittals and maintain records of approvals.
- Identify areas of work that are outside of contacted or subcontracted scope.
- Preside and pre-construction meeting with each subcontractor.
- Opening the jobsite at the beginning of the day and securing the jobsite at the end of the day.
- Assist in hiring sub-tier employees.
The Project Superintendent is solely responsible for and will be held accountable for the timely completion of the project and ensuring that the project is constructed in strict accordance with plans, specifications, and local codes. Project Superintendent shall schedule all subcontractors, consultants, and vendors, as well as ensure their completion of work within time allowed. The Project Superintendent shall be responsible for the coordination of work directed in the field, provided work is performed in accordance with plans and specifications. Conflicts or revisions to the plan shall be communicated with the project team (i.e. superiors, architect, engineer, consultant, owner) for mutual resolution, prior to execution of work that deviates from the approved plans. The Project Superintendent shall establish and enforce job site quality control programs to ensure quality completion of construction. The Project Superintendent does not have authorization to engage in monetary agreements (subcontracts, change orders, work authorizations). All request for monetary agreements must be communicatied to the Project Manager or other superior for consideration prior to work performed. Failure to perform these duties will result in reprimand or termination.
Superintendent shall supervise all subcontractors, consultants, and vendors on a daily basis. This supervision shall ensure adequate manpower is available for each task and compliant work performed. This position shall be responsible for monitoring project security personnel. Superintendent shall supervise all Assistant-Superintendents.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Communicate using the following tools: telephone, written logs, email, computer, iPad/tablet, smart phone devices, smartphone camera.
- Blueprint Reading
- Physically lift up to 100 lbs.
- Endurance and ability to visit entire job site, including stairs or other elevated structures
- Monitoring jobsite general health and safety
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ view; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Mets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time and notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Must be able to travel to the jobsite(s) as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
Minimum of three years of verifiable experience, thorough knowledge of trades. Must be computer literate. Experience in commercial construction is preferred. Office experience with Microsoft and project management software(s) is also preferred.
Ability to read and Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform he essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position involves work at a construction site where duties will be performed both indoors and outdoors.
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboards, mouse and other business machines.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk;
- Reach with hands and arms;
- Climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
- Talk or hear
- The employee is occasionally required to sit
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and risk of vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $45,000.00 per year
- Construction Experience: 3 years (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
This Job Is:
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Only full-time employees eligible