Job Description –
Cape Fear Engineering, Inc. a multi-discipline firm specializing in providing turn-key design and project management services for military, institutional, municipal, and private sector clients is in search of a bright and ambitious Geotechnical Engineer with analytical and project management abilities. We offer exciting opportunities for staff to develop career and personal goals within a fast-paced and encouraging environment. Successful candidates shall be passionate about geotechnical engineering and demonstrate proven experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously of varied sizes across different market sectors.
Qualified applicants will provide coordination and contract administration from proposal phase, through design investigations and analysis, reporting, construction materials observation and testing, and final acceptance. This position will provide oversite and supervision over field investigations and laboratory testing and will be responsible for developing and monitoring budgets and schedules. You will play an integral part in overall client satisfaction, quality, assurance, and profitability of all projects undertaken that contribute to the firm’s strategic priorities.
· Possess organizational skills to prioritize tasks and handle multiple deadlines
· Review project scoping documents and develop design fee proposals
· Attend site visits during proposal phase and during project design and construction
· Coordinate with clients, design team members, and project stakeholders to ensure conformance with contract terms and manage expectations
· Contract and manage sub-consultants (i.e. drillers, utility location services, etc.)
· Initiate, perform, and coordinate deliverables with owners or clients
· Oversee preparation of deliverable submittals including technical reports
· Provide technical guidance, oversight, and quality control throughout project design and/or construction phase for compliance to the scope and applicable codes
· Provide geotechnical investigations (borings, test pits, lab results, etc.), analysis and verification of collected data, earthwork and foundation recommendations and reporting.
· Provide construction materials observation and testing (Field inspection, sampling & testing of soils, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel, etc.), analysis and reporting.
· Manage laboratory and field personnel
· Prepare / oversee production of bore logs in CAD format.
· Provide final project constructability and compliance reviews
· Review schedules, budgets, invoices, project documentation and records
· Ensure project needs and objectives are being met
· Manage project changes, and prepare change orders when necessary
· Excellent communication skills, a thorough knowledge of relevant codes, operations, processes and trends
· Marketing the firm’s geotechnical services through tradeshows, cold calls, and other networking events
· Four-year college or university degree with a major in Geotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering with a Geotechnical concentration, or Geology degree
· 5-10+ years of related work experience (Design-Build Projects very beneficial)
· Licensure as a Professional Engineer or Professional Geologist. (NC, SC preferred, but ability to become licensed in NC, SC required).
· Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
· Demonstrated aptitude toward understanding engineering and construction projects
· Inspection experience
· Experience with software (Autocad/Microstation, Adobe, Word, Excel, pCASE, gINT, LPILE, APILE, WEAP, GSTABL, etc.)
· Organizational ability
· Ability to work well in a group environment and manage people
Other Skills and Experiences -
· Experience managing all aspects of small to large projects
· Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks, to prioritize and organize, and work well under stress in a fast-paced environment
· Detail oriented problem solver
· Ability to be flexible and adapt to constant change
· Excellent client management/stakeholder engagement skills
· Strong critical thinking skills
· Detail-oriented and efficient
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
· Devoted to quality output and be able to work independently
Physical Requirements –
· Employee must be able to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects
· Required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal and extensive reading
· Ability to operate a variety of laboratory equipment.
· The worker is subject to a variety of physical conditions – proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, exposure to high heat, climbing stairs or ladders, and walking over rough terrain
· A competitive benefit package that is provided includes, health (PPO or HSA), life, dental, vision short term disability and long term disability insurance. In addition, a 401K retirement plan with a company match.
· The Company provides nine (9) paid holidays plus paid time off.
A cover letter, resume with salary history and salary expectations and portfolio is required. Resumes will be kept confidential. Please send your information to the following:
Upload to Website: www.capefearengineering.com
Or Mail to Attention: Maria Jones
Regarding: Geotechnical Engineer
P.O. Box 544
Wilmington, NC 28402
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, handicap and / or disability.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $26.00 - $32.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- AutoCAD: 1 year (Preferred)
- Professional Engineer (Preferred)
Work Location: One location