- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
- 7+ years of in depth Linux operating system
- 4 + years of distributed system management experience
- Minimum of 5 years building and running systems for Internet-facing services
- Minimum 5 years experience with TCP/IP network troubleshooting and administration
- This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Would you like to help implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve the world's most complex technical problems? Do you have a deep passion and desire to engineer and operate the world's largest cloud computing infrastructure to provide a better world for future generations?
Amazon Web Services is seeking top industry technical expert to grow our team dedicated to expanding our Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) to government customers. We are seeking a talented engineer skilled in the art of integration who understands the Agile mindset and DevOps philosophies, yet is not constrained by how “things are usually done" and is willing to decompose and reinvent systems, processes, and tools. We're looking for a technical expert for one of the largest compute services on the planet; if you possess that rare mix of depth in Operations, Networking, and Systems Engineering then we are waiting for your application.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we “Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History.” On a “typical” day engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues.
You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are wickedly smart, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success. You'll become a master at EC2 platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will design and build the operational scalability that sustains the platform's insane growth. You will be able to measure your success by its visible impact on the efficiency and effectiveness of government services for our nation.
Apply to meet our talented team and let's see if you are the one that can help us scale to meet the demand of our largest government customers! Become our leading expert on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) products and services.
Our systems engineers spend time:
- Investigating new ways to improve operations and defining new solutions to solve technically complex cloud issues for our customers
- Maintaining the world's most advanced cloud computing infrastructure including Amazon Web Services EC2, EBS, ECS, and more.
- Investigating system variances about to affect major services worldwide and solving them proactively before impacting customers.
- Diving deep into service interdependencies and region specific configurations to find the root of a problem about to affect an entire nation.
- Studying and learning from industry recognized Amazon distinguished engineers.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
- 3 + years of development of systems management and administration automation in Perl, Python, Ruby, or Java
- Experience debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
- Exposure to massive-scaled distributed systems
- Experience with SQL scripts and database administration
- Experience in a 24x7 production environment
- Troubleshooting skills at all levels, from application to network to host
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, architecture, and core technologies (such as DNS, DHCP, HTTP, Routing, VPN)
- Ability to track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex systems with massive scale
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
If you’re interested in learning more about this role and others that are similar, please reach out to Thi Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.