The Coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin.
At the forefront of a new space age, Lockheed Martin Space is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our standout skills and experiences to craft, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture inspires employees to dream big, perform with excellence and build incredible products. We provide the resources, support and focus and if you have the passion and work ethic to excel we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Do you have a commitment to success, proven social skills, a positive outlook? Are you a creative thinker and problem solver?
If this describes you, come join our team as our next Propulsion Engineer!
You will support the propulsion engineering team by performing tasks related to component specification, design, development, integration and test. You will be the focal point for one or more components crucial to the success of our propulsion systems. You will perform varied tasks with direction from a senior lead engineer. You will research, plan, design, develop, and support program needs for propulsion components used in flight systems. These responsibilities will be applied to multiple propulsion components necessary for successful propulsion subsystem operation.
Your duties will include responsibility for the design, manufacture, procurement and test for the propulsion system components and assemblies, either in an oversight role for supplier-provided components, or as a direct production interface for in-house components. This job requires coordinating with customers, suppliers, test facilities, and other related disciplines including manufacturing, subcontracts, quality, structure design, analysis, systems engineering, and integration with affected subsystems and facilities. Other duties may include,
- Support Subsystem Integration, and subsystem test and operations on an as-needed basis
- Assist on the conceptual development, requirements definition, and design of propulsion components
- Perform trade studies to select appropriate design solutions
- Develop product performance specifications, statements of work, and supplier data requirements for components
- Maintain engineering drawings, specifications, and technical analyses necessary to support systems and components
- Provide requirements flow-down, verification, and maintain technical baseline at the suppliers
- Evaluate, select, and then manage the technical aspects of the procurement from the selected hardware supplier
Bachelors degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience/combined education, with 2 years of professional experience; or no experience required with a related Masters degree. Considered experienced, but still a learner.
- Knowledge of Requirement development and management
- Solid understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Demonstrated Mechanical engineering or design experience
- Proven desire and ability to own technical challenges through solution
- Ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment
- Knowledge in fluid dynamics and heat transfer theory
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of GD&T.
- Hands on Hardware experience
- Knowledge of Mechanical and Propulsion Engineering Principles
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and teaming with internal and external customers
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with adjacent disciplines (systems engineering, electronics, stress/thermal analysis, configuration management, production, test, quality…)
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple assignments and customers, simultaneously and independently
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Fast learner with good problem-solving abilities
- Additive manufacturing experience
- Flight Hardware Design experience
- Experience with CAD design software
It is highly desirable to have the following additional skills:
- Familiarity/proficiency in supply chain management and subcontracts
- Experience with Mechanical hardware and systems
- Experience with requirement definition, documentation and verification
- Familiarity with Fluid Mechanics
- Familiarity with Propulsion system integration
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency with standard documentation and presentation tools
- Excellent verbal/written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills with technical and non-technical audiences
- Active TS/SCI Clearance with Polygraph
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.