Your opportunities for achievement are limitless with Northrop Grumman Space Systems
An internship at Northrop Grumman is unique. Sure, you'll learn new skills, explore our enterprise, network with experts, connect with thought leaders, and finish with a resume that opens doors. But you'll gain something even more valuable: pride in what you've done. Join us and launch your career. We'll support you with training, employee resource groups, and our shared vision of global security.
Northrop Grumman is seeking Interns in both Mechanical/Structural Analysis Engineer and Thermal Engineer to assist an experienced team of mechanical engineers to perform mechanical and structural analysis on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems.
Responsibilities may include the following:
Performing static and dynamic structure analysis. Reviewing requirements for materials, structure systems & subsystems.
Selecting appropriate technical information and data from applicable products.
Determining the technical principles involved, identifying the design path forward and computing the engineering characteristics to ensure consistency with the specifications design needs and requirements of space applications.
Releasing results as "technical documents" after review by the senior members of the team.
Developing innovative solutions and elaborating on design concepts.
Evaluating completed designs with supervisor and other technical groups, and making modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
Developing, coordinating, and conducting test programs required to evaluate design work.
Preferred Qualifications for Analysis:
- Be enrolled full-time and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college/university AND graduating after August 2021.
- Be majoring in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Aerospace Engineering (AE), or a related STEM degree.
- Have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher (unofficial academic transcripts must be provided at time of application by uploading the documents to your application or profile)
- Be available to work full-time (40 hours per week) for at least 10 weeks during summer 2021
- Be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite)•Ability to perform structural engineering tasks associated with analysis, design, and/or testing of structures.
Preferred Qualifications for Thermal:
- Demonstrated leadership experience, preferably on university sponsored design projects or clubs.
- Experience with spacecraft or subsystem static/dynamic testing
- Experience utilizing MATLAB
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
- Experience with at least one of the following Mechanical Analysis tools: NX FEMAP/NASTRAN, ABAQUS, HYPERMESH. (Equivalent spacecraft structural analysis tools may be considered on a case by case basis).
- Experience Performing Thermal Vacuum Testing .
- Experience with Thermal Desktop & SINDA or equivalent spacecraft thermal analysis tools.
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
- Prior internship or research experience in related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.