Director of Architecture & Design
Rise Modular is a full volumetric modular technology company serving the multi-family apartment and hospitality development sectors in the Midwest. Its headquarters and this position are based in Minneapolis, Minnesota with its first manufacturing facility in Owatonna, Minnesota. The company expects to grow to multiple manufacturing plants over the next 3 to 5 years. The company is financially supported by a strong family office and is not dependent on venture or private equity capital. The company is also unique in its ability to self-develop through an affiliated development team.
The company designs, engineers and manufactures industry leading full volumetric modular units for the multi-family apartment and hospitality industries in the Upper Midwest. In addition, the company’s affiliated development arm executes select multi-family development projects and partners with other developers to bring key know-how of modular technologies and to share execution risk.
The Director of Architecture & Design is a key member of the Company and directs the organizational structure, hiring, management and work product of internal and external staff within the architecture and design functions that produce best in class full volumetric modular housing projects and modules to the hospitality industry.
The role integrates closely with the Plant Manager and the Senior Director of Purchasing & Supply Chain Management to ensure that the materials for the designs are fully evaluated, specified and can be ordered in quantity and cost sufficient to meet production requirements.
The organizational structure for the Design & Engineering team is based on three different target customers and delivery options, as follows:
- For multi-family apartment projects (3 to 6-stories from 75 to 250 units typically), the base production volume is delivered to projects executed by an affiliated development team. The Architecture & Design team executes the full scope of architectural services for these projects. But it may also outsource the initial concept design work and key specialty service roles to outside firms on a case-by-case or integrated partner basis.
- For larger customers, the Architecture & Design team works collaboratively with the customer’s internal design and engineering teams and/or long-standing partner firms for these customers. The role for the Rise Architecture & Design team is to ensure the plans and specifications are adapted to full volumetric modular technology standards and that drive efficiencies and quality outcomes in the Rise Modular manufacturing facility.
- For hospitality developers, the Architecture & Design team typical receives detailed plans and specifications reflecting brand standards from the hospitality brand. The Architecture & Design team takes these and adapts them to the company’s production standards and internal processes.
Under any of these scenarios, the Architecture & Design Team is responsible for construction supervision, obtaining certificates of occupancy, and related post construction activities.
- Licensed architect in the State of Minnesota (or ability to secure such state licensing by comity)
- Significant successful experience designing multi-family housing projects
- Experience with BIM software and Autodesk Revit
- Experience managing a team and delivering quality timely plan / specification deliverables
- Experience with modular construction techniques
- Experience working in a cross-functional design team environment across design, engineering and multiple consultants
- Deep domain expertise, operational experience and interpersonal skills to gain confidence of customers and drive high quality outcomes on a time / cost / customer satisfaction basis
- Unquestionable ethical standards and strong work ethic
Preferred skills and experience
- Experience with StrucSoft MWF for wood frame construction
- Familiarity with current standards in multi-family housing design and construction practices in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area and across Minnesota
- A strong drive for continuous improvement and system change
- Ability to work in a start-up environment and bring value across a range of topics within a collaborative team atmosphere
- The company uses Revit, BIM360, StrucSoft MWF and other manufacturing software as part of the company’s integrated software operating system. The Senior Director is responsible for managing all aspects of the software operating system.
Above all else, our team members should have a positive attitude and be flexible as to job responsibilities. We have a collaborative, team focused, and fast-paced environment and welcome team members who are interested in working for a progressive and innovative organization.
For additional information about Rise Modular, please visit our website at www.risemodular.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Rise Modular is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off