Franklin Pierce Schools
POSITION TITLE: SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER
The Senior Systems Engineer provides hands on oversight, design, maintenance and problem solving for Franklin Pierce Schools most complex technical systems. Essential to the position is the ability to evaluate and implement specifications and technical requirements of core system architectures while adhering to industry best practices. The Senior Systems Engineer must also analyze system efficiency and mitigate problems through monitoring and reporting. This position will work with IT leadership for providing technical direction, critical problem solving, and superior customer service. Additionally, this position assists in supporting the department’s workload and technical projects and serves as an escalation point and lead for some projects.
REPORTS TO: Chief Technology Officer
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Management
Information Systems, or related field. Five years demonstrable related experience can be used in place of a bachelor's degree in the listed fields.
Certifications (minimum one)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MSCE)
- VMware Data Center Virtualization (Professional, Advanced Professional, or Design preferred)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
- Project Management Professional
- CompTIA Security+
Five or more years experience in at least three of the following areas:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 or higher system administration
- Deep technical experience and understanding of Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy, and
- VMware vSphere server virtualization and VMware vCenter administration
- Administration and management of Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS)
- Enterprise certificate management
- High availability datacenter operation
- MS SQL, MySQL, Postgres, database management tools and maintenance
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Enterprise server infrastructures, operating systems, applications and protocols, network infrastructure, wireless networks, Active Directory and monitoring tools
- Implementation and support of enterprise desktop services
- Deployment methodologies such as SCCM, Altiris, LANDesk, CA, JAMF, Filewave, or similar
- Business Intelligence, query writing, and reporting
- Requirements gathering and documentation
- Formalized software development life cycle
- Data resource and productivity tools
- Routing protocols (MPLS, HAIPE/IP, QOS and WAN)
- Network security including firewalls and ACLs.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Ability to read, write, speak, and communicate effectively
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Support the daily operation of Franklin Pierce Schools technical information systems including design, performance, configuration, maintenance, and repair.
2. Develop new system and application implementation, maintenance plans, and testing procedures; train technical staff in new systems.
3. Monitor system components to identify trouble areas and recommend solutions to the Chief
4. Maintain system patch levels.
5. Collaborate with internal and external partners, including Franklin Pierce staff, to determine their informational needs, identify appropriate solutions, and monitor to ensure project success.
6. Assist in the design, configuration, and troubleshooting of district databases systems.
7. After hours, flexible, and remote work may be required.
8. Evaluate and enhance the efficiency of existing systems, programs, and reports.
9. Provide short- and long-term vision for the future direction of technical systems.
10. Participate in the planning, research, and implementation of new information systems software and hardware.
11. Integrate onsite and hosted applications to aid schools in their strategic plans.
12. Create and implement processes and procedures to enhance end user functionality of district created systems.
13. Provide core systems support including design, build, and test.
14. Promote and design solutions for automation of district data processes.
15. Participate in regular conversations with the Chief Technology Officer and other involved personnel, regarding goals and direction of projects relating to district data systems.
16. Treat confidential material in a professional manner.
17. Provide backup support to the Information Technology Support Specialist positions, requiring knowledge of all associated job functions.
18. Maintain current knowledge of trends, development, and products in the network systems field.
19. As a precautionary measure, analyze, and implement new security protocols for greater efficiency against any threat or malfunctions.
20. Resolve existing security issues including hardware malfunctions.
21. Track vulnerable scripts to avert potential threats.
22. Generate and maintain the virtual private network, firewalls, web protocols, and email security decorum.
23. Report a security analysis of findings.
24. Investigate Security breach alerts.
25. Measure, analyze, and implement new security protocols for greater efficiency against any threat or malfunctions.
26. Provide support for physical network and installation, to include: terminaton, cable pulling, building pathway inspection, and coordination with facilities and/or contractors if required.
27. Maintain documentation of configuration changes/modifications of security systems and procedures based on district standards.
28. Support security camera operations, to include installation, troubleshooting, maintenance, and vendor coordination.
29. Other duties as assigned.
1. Position requires after-hours, on-call commitment to service the various district systems and assist with other technology breakdowns for the purpose of ensuring the daily functions of the district’s operations.
2. A post-job-offer physical will be required.
3. A valid Washington State driver’s license and proof of a satisfactory driving record (WSP 5-year abstract) will be required.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $82,362.00 to $104,554.00 /year