The Operations Superintendent provides daily leadership and management of the Operations Department at AlexRenew Water Resource Recovery Facility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans, supervises and reviews the work of staff performing operational duties for a water resource reclamation facility, related facilities, interceptors, reclaimed water, biosolids and future combined sewer tunnels and related facilities.
- Serves as Chief Plant Operator providing recommendations for action, solves problems and assists in policy, procedure and budget development, implementation and monitoring; manages operational contracts for biosolids, chemicals and other operational needs; performs related duties as assigned.
- Plans, assigns, supervises, reviews and evaluates the work of assigned staff; assists in selection of staff; reviews work for accuracy and compliance with department and regulatory standards; establishes individual staff, team and operation department goals.
- Plans, directs and coordinates the daily operations and activities of the operations department; reviews conditions; recommends appropriate actions; provides guidance and technical expertise to staff members.
- Studies and standardizes procedures to improve operations department efficiency, cost effectiveness and regulatory compliance.
- Ensures safe work methods are followed and appropriate safety precautions and equipment are utilized; ensures safety meetings are conducted.
- Provides staff training and development; manages utility wide operations training, to include providing input to Human Resources regarding onboarding and apprentice training.
- Adjusts operating schedules as required to meet changing conditions and emergencies; collaborates with Human Resources on an ongoing basis for schedule changes.
- Reads and interprets plant drawings, piping and distribution diagrams.
- Locates and troubleshoots operational issues, malfunctions and process inefficiencies; collaborates with Process Manager and Maintenance Manager as needed for solutions.
- Reviews project plans and drawings with staff, identifies and conveys to engineering potential operational challenges or issues.
- Compiles and/or tracks various administrative and/or statistical data pertaining to department operations; performs research as needed; makes applicable calculations; analyzes trends; prepares or generates reports; maintains records.
- Assists management and engineering department in the initiation and coordination of plant conversions, alterations and additions; meets with consultants and contractors in connection with these programs.
- Responds to emergency situations; serves as the AlexRenew lead Incident Commander; coordinates with AlexRenew Safety Coordinator.
- Facilitates regular meetings with staff to communicate expectations, receive feedback, resolve problems, develop trusting relationships, provide motivation and employee recognition, stay abreast of staff’s work activities, and provide required resources for work assignments.
- Supports the Maintenance Manager in the management of cross connection and Miss Utility locating programs.
- Ensures department compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures; initiates any actions necessary to correct violations.
- Manages biosolids program; prepares/submits appropriate reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, education, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline desired.
- Valid Virginia Class 1 Waste Water Works Operator license; or ability to obtain Class 1 within one year of continuous employment required.
- Professional Engineer (PE) designation preferred.
- Eight (8) years’ of verifiable professional experience related to operation, maintenance and repair of sewage treatment plants or similar installations, including four (4) years of supervisory and decision-making experience.
- Knowledge of Virginia Pollution and Discharge and Elimination Systems (VPDES) permit and requirements.
- Knowledge of current federal, state and local rules and regulations as they pertain to the operation of wastewater collection and treatment.
- Knowledge of operation and routine preventive maintenance of wastewater reclamation facilities and equipment; modern wastewater treatment and reclamation principles and practices.
- Knowledge of technical, electrical and hydraulic principles as they relate to the operations of a wastewater treatment system.
- Knowledge of the MS Office Suite and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) software.
- Position requires good communication and interpersonal skills, including strong team building skills. Must be able to communicate effectively both in writing and orally.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of employee supervision including selection, training, work evaluation and discipline.
- Detail-oriented, proactive, adaptable.
- Ability to plan, assign and supervise activities of subordinate staff.
- Ability to research and prepare complex reports.
- Ability to respond to an emergency and problem situations in an effective manner.
- Ability to understand, explain and apply policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform these functions. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position.
While performing the duties of the job, typical of office work, and include lifting up to 20 pounds, and minimal pushing or pulling. When necessary, employee may perform duties of subordinate staff.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs work primarily indoors in a climate controlled environment, with outdoor trips between buildings and some outdoor work required. Some areas of plant are hot and humid at times.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 8 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking